Friday, September 14, 2012

My Weekend Crush

I know, I know – a fish. And a fictitious fish at that. But this weekend, of all weekends, I simply can make no other pick. This weekend, of all weekends, I am picking Dory. Yes, Dory. The Pacific Regal Blue Tang from “Finding Nemo.” The fish who forgets. The fish who helped make Ellen DeGeneres famous again. OK, OK, yes, do you feel better now that you made that “lesbian love their fish” joke? Good, we shall proceed.

I’ve spoken about my love for “Finding Nemo” and Pixar many, many times before. Short version: I love them. Long version: So much! But I truly cannot overstate my excitement at being able to see “Finding Nemo” on the big screen, finally. I, shamefully, am one of those people who scoffed at seeing a children’s movie at the theater way back in 2003. What? That’s kid’s stuff. Don’t be silly. But then, through the power of the DVD and getting over myself I feel in love and me and Pixar have gotten along swimmingly ever since. So, now, imagine my joy at finally being able to see the vast ocean and all its delightful creatures two-stories high as the movie gods intended. Sure, I’ll also have to contend with 3D. But my main concern with that is becoming too scared during the Bruce goes Jaws scene.

But back to Dory. Without her, let’s face it, this movie goes nowhere. It’d just be a weird Woodie Allen film with child abandonment issues. But with Dory it’s filled with heart and humor and that undying optimism that gets all of us, every day, to just keep swimming. Plus no one talks whale better than her. Won’t you please be my squishy, Dory? Happy weekend, all.


p.s. Earlier this summer I ran into these two in a shop window. I will neither confirm nor deny that I squealed to anyone within earshot, "Oh my God, Nemo and Dory!"

9 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I saw it at the theater back in the day even though I was the only unaccompanied adult in the whole entire place. I am sooo happy to be able to see them again this weekend, but this time with my girlfriend

Redbone210 said...

I saw that same combination at the Atlanta Aquarium and squealed as well.
I love the movie Finding Nemo so much, I named my daughter Sydney...yes, I know.

Anonymous said...

Im going to see it tomorrow with the family cant wait lol even though no kids will be with us but aint no shame in my game

Phoenix said...

I love Dory & I loved nemo I watch it over all the time but this is my fav Dory moment and my firm philosophy - Just Keep Swimming.

http://youtu.be/CmyUkm2qlhA

Much love from Trinidad

Stacy

Anonymous said...

http://believeinadream.tumblr.com/post/31536578025/talia-is-a-thirteen-year-old-aspiring-makeup

:)

ysubassoon said...

Nemo's dad and Dory are together again at the aquarium in the local mall. Everyone, adults and children alike, calls them by their true names (Nemo's dad and Dory.) I love them all for it.

Anonymous said...

I have a theory that there will be more adults in the theaters for this movie than children.

tomboyPrincess said...

i think Dory is suuuper adorable. :D

Redbone210 said...

Update:
My ex-husband and I took our kids to see the movie today. I actually teared up a couple of times. You would think that I've never seen it before.
Just keep swimming....