Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Alpha ladies

So last night while researching my AfterEllen post, I came to the startling realization that Julia Sugarbaker and Bette Porter could be sisters. OK, not actual fictional sisters because Julia already has Suzanne and Bette already has Kit, among other issues. But in mind, body and spirit, they’re in complete solidarity. I don’t know how I didn’t see the parallels before. Julia is a fierce, fabulous, feminist Southern Belle whose nickname is The Terminator. Bette is a fabulous, fierce, feminist L.A. Woman whose nickname is Alpha Bette. And, if you think about it, Julia is the original Alpha Bette -- the Alpha Julia. Hear them go off on side-by-side rants and the result is a whole lotta woman, in the best possible sense.

Alpha Julia

Alpha Bette

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post

love alpha bette

ΣΑΥΡΑ said...

i have a question.
what exactly Alpha means, as you use it here that is.

R said...

I'm hoping for the return of Alpha Bette next season!

Anonymous said...

hello poster whose name I can't recreate here:
according to Wikipedia, in social animals, the alpha male or alpha female is the individual in the community to whom the others follow and defer. So ... Alpha Bette, to whom all bow down. Also a play on the English word alphabet. "Alpha Bette" has nearly disappeared in seasons 2-5. Bring her back, please.

Anonymous said...

Now, what episode was that? I want to see what happened after....:)

I presume that woman senator will go after Bette and....?

Ditto on calls for Alpha Bette!

Blue said...

i wholeheartedly agree with your bette/ julia comparison. the first time i saw bette, julia immediately came to mind... AND they have the same hair! :)

ΣΑΥΡΑ said...

thank you anonymous

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought of the comparison between the two, but now it all makes so much sense! The best Julia moment was when she ranted about Southerners and their crazy relatives, basically saying that they don't hide them, they flaunt them.

Anyhow, I agree that we need to see more Alpha Bette next season, but not so much that she brings out the old Tina.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blast from the past...and oh so true. I love both of these alpha ladies.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Gots to love the Sugarbaker sisters!

Anonymous said...

alpha bette gives me the chills! and turns me on...

Anonymous said...

bring back alpha bette!!!

Anonymous said...

you compare them is so funny~