Friday, January 27, 2012

My Weekend Crush

Life affords us far too few moments of grace. Amid the mess and muddle of our everyday existence, we can forget what matters most far too easily. Amid the complication and conflict of our differences, we can forget what makes us all the same. Like many of you I have followed the story of Gabrielle Giffords from that terrible moment a little over a year ago when those first horrifying reports first came in of a shooting at congressional event in Arizona. And, like many of you, my emotions went from anguish and anger to amazement and admiration as the nation struggled to come to terms with what had happened. She has been, quite simply, awesome. To survive getting shot in the head is, in itself, nothing short of a miracle. But how she has conducted herself through this ordeal has been almost otherworldly. The courage she has displayed, the strength she has mustered, the compassion she has offered and the unbreakable spirit she has shown is more than a miracle. It’s pure grace. I had hoped, with all my heart, that this inspirational woman would defy the odds and stay in congress. But I completely understand and admire her reasons for resigning this week. And I think, in fact I know, that we have not seen the last of this extraordinary woman or her radiant smile. Thank you for your service, Gabby. A grateful nation wishes you a full and fast recovery. Happy weekend, all.



p.s. On a purely superficial note, because this is a Weekend Crush after all, hot damn does Gabby look smokin’ with a motorcycle or what?


14 comments:

LiteraryVice432 said...

When I saw President Obama hug her at the State of the Union I cried.
She'll be back and she will kick so much ass the world won't know what hit it.

Anonymous said...

She really is an inspiration.

egghead said...

Oh my, what a beautiful, graceful post Ms. Dorothy.

I have cried, cried so so much over this situation. Yet Gabby soothes us doesn't she? When I heard she would resign I was jolted, then I saw her video and I was reassured. A lot of weird, subtle changes take place in head injury, and let me tell ya she is coping incredibly well.

Oh yeah, she is hot.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping she makes a presidential run in 2020.

Bent said...

I had just noticed her before that horrible day that changed so many lives. What a smile, and such a sweet spirit with the balls it takes to run for public office and win. She is truly amazing! Thanks for the treat of the motorcycle photo. I love bikes, and I love Gabby.

Anonymous said...

I, like Debbie Wasserman Shultz, couldn't keep it together during that show of unity on the floor of the House of Representatives. Gabby Giffords is an incredible inspiration to us all.

J9 said...

I cried during SOTU, during her resignation speech, and since. She is a singular light in the darkness of the battles in our government.

And What the WHAT - that motorcycle shot is so awesome!!!

Bitches get stuff done, indeed!

-Lisa said...

Yes, yes, yes.

PokerLawyer said...

Here, here.

PokerLawyer said...

As in "Here, here - this post, that I love" (as opposed to the grammatically correct "hear, hear," which also represents my feelings on that which you wrote.) =D

Anonymous said...

Poor Giffords.

Burning question is; *why* was she targeted???

As with so many of these sorts of events; there are many suspicions aspects to the story we’ve been given. Firstly, from what we know of Loughner’s behaviour it seems *very probable* that he is under some kind of mind control. As they currently have him ‘nicely’ drugged to high heaven, it is very unlikely anyone will get any sense out of him at present, or perhaps ever?! Some may say (and I would be one of them!) that this is probably of great convenience to certain parties.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/02/nation/la-na-loughner-20111102

If Loughner is indeed under mind control, who are his controllers?!! That is another big question IMHO.
Then there were the eyewitnesses who said they saw at least one accomplice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1IV-4F3q4

You’d think they’d have given up on that silly hackneyed ‘lone nut’ scenario by now, wouldn’t you? Note how the MSM whores jump to link Loughner to the Patriot movement no doubt as part of the on-going MSM efforts to discredit it.

Wayne Madsen (a fairly credible-ish journalist) says one of his sources alleges there is a link to ‘Fast and Furious’ and that Giffords and Roll were investigating the trafficking of weapons through Arizona…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujzU0clKwc

Anyway, so old Giffords likes her Beemers huh? Good for you Gabby darling! Harley’s are, after all, HIGHLY over-rated! (Or so I’ve been told by umpteen *serious* bikers over the years.)

PD

CeeCee said...

Dear "Dorothy"-- your post was just right and very much appreciated. Thank you, too, for including the CSPAN clip. For once, Speaker Boehner did not cry alone--but did you notice? Giffords maintained her composure throughout. She was one of the few people in the Chamber (and I dare say, the throngs who have viewed the clip)who did not weep. Amazing. Again, thank you for a wonderful post!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful woman who will be missed in Congress. I hope she does return.

MsMayehm said...

Having dealt with an unjurt and battled disability, I still cannot fathom the depth of determination, willpower, and strength that it takes her to have come so far, and to be so focused on the road ahead.

I cannot decide if our Nation is poorer for having lost her in Congress, or richer for her example of humanity and strength.

I only wish that more of her colleagues were listening to her message about finding a way to move forward, to serve the people, together.