Monday, May 21, 2007

Equality right damn now


Have you ever read something so eloquent, so moving and so true that you felt like you’d been given a gift and in turn wanted to share it with everyone you knew? No, I’m not having some crazed Oprah’s Book Club moment. I’m talking about the gift that was Joss Whedon’s post at Whedoneque over the weekend. If he isn’t a feminist, then I don’t know what one is. I’ve tried my own weak attempt at eloquence on the matter over at AfterEllen. But I think I’ll just let his unvarnished words speak for themselves.

“I have never had any faith in humanity. But I will give us props on this: if we can evolve, invent and theorize our way into the technologically magical, culturally diverse and artistically magnificent race we are and still get people to buy the idiotic idea that half of us are inferior, we’re pretty amazing. Let our next sleight of hand be to make that myth disappear.”

When I finished reading (go, read it now, I mean it), I realized that his words fit so seamlessly into Buffy’s final battle cry from “Chosen” that it was almost eerie. Joss, I am ready to be strong. And I am looking up.

5 comments:

Heather Anne Hogan said...

Wow. That was intense and amazing. Thanks for the link, Dorothy.

Emilie said...

This post will stay with me for a while. Thank you very much for making me think a little bit more deeply than usual.

Anonymous said...

Go Joss...Go Buffy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking us to this very thoughtful post. You can get jaded and think nobody especially no guys are paying attention - this is powerful and hopeful - men can be allies agaisnt the hatred of women embedded in all cultures.

i love that you focus on the fun, the mundane and the the real stuff too. It's what makes your blogs so interesting and worth reading.

Anonymous said...

I am so damn sick and tired of the violence against women and girls in this world. The stoning incident was just another horrific example.
Whedon's post was inspiring and so was Buffy. Channel the anger, channel the anger...and let's take down the bastards.