Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Studio 60 sends me to Cloud 9

Well, that was lovely. I’ve been a fan of “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” since its pilot blew me away with its smarts, wit and backbone. Today, I’m as much a fan as ever (OK, the skits could be considerably funnier). But overall, big kuddos. Monday's episode (the last before the new year) was an early Christmas gift. Funny. Principled. Romantic. The show has two of my four favorite female characters from the new season: Jordan McDeere (the brilliant Amanda Peet) and Harriet Hayes (the brilliant and out Sarah Paulson). All season long we've been treated to layered portrayals of interesting, intelligent and independent women.

Last night both actresses got to add “love interest” to that list. Now, I realize praising an episode where both women’s roles primarily boils down to “romantic foil for lead male character” might seem like a blight on my feminist street cred. Hey, let’s face it, everyone loves romance. That’s why romantic comedies are so popular. Note how when movies are about married couples, they’re usually called “dramas.” But, getting back to my point, Studio 60 makes me happy I own a television. Really happy. Get a little happy for yourself and watch the full episode online.

p.s. In case you were wondering, my other two favorites from the new season are Ugly Betty’s Betty Suarez and 30 Rock’s Liz Lemon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was encouraged by this latest episode. I'm a fan, but overall it's not as funny as Sorkin-past, so have felt interest waning. I liked the whole F-bomb storyline -- interesting take on all those journalists in hot water for dropping F-Bombs in the newsroom while not under missle attack.