Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Race to the Bottoms

In an alternate universe where the heads of studios and streamers understood the irreplaceable contributions that the writers and actors provide to a process that has made a lucky few like them and their fellow CEOs obscenely wealthy already and actually paid the creative class fairly instead of trying to replace them with machines, we would no doubt all be delighting in the press tour antics of Rachel Sennott and Ayo Edebiri as they promoted “Bottoms.” But instead, we’ve only got their work in the trailer and clips to try to glean every last queer drop of publicity and enjoyment we can from. Which, that being said, is still considerable. I recently, finally, watched Rachel in “Shiva Baby,” but have yet to start “The Bear” (though I’ve enjoyed Ayo in “Abbott Elementary"). So I know the talent involved is considerable. I just hope that a pair of teenage lesbian losers who start a female fight club in their high school to meet girls is a comedy and satire concept the wider world can recognize and embrace without, you know, some charming press tour antics to grease the endlessly hungry maw of our social media attention span. Yes, I am talking in long sentences without pause for some reason right now, don’t question, just admire my literary breath control. *gasps*

Anyway, to get those not normally inclined to maybe attend a female-led queer comedy, it apparently also stars former NFL running back Marshawn Lynch. Go see this movie this weekend if you can because, well, gay stuff…and sportsball stuff. Go Team (and that team is Gay).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been eagerly awaiting this movie since the first reviews came out of SXSW. It looks like a campy romp with a message. I'm thrilled to find it will be opening in a giga-plex near me next week! Thanks Dorothy for sharing these additional clips.

Anonymous said...

It is soooo good! My friend said it had a kind of "But I'm a Cheerleader" energy, and I mostly agree. You have to suspend disbelief a bit, but it's really fun when you do.

Anonymous said...

I found it more enjoyable the second time. there are so many "blink and you'll miss it" sight gags that I missed the first time watching. Also paying more attention to what is going on with the characters in the background of scenes revealed some more humorous gags. I hope it has a very long and successful theater run, but I really can't wait for it to hit a streaming site so I can pause and rewind the best bits.