Thursday, May 19, 2022

Only Lesbians in the Building

Did I manifest lesbianism into “Only Murders in the Building?” Remember earlier this year when it was reported that the celesbian world’s real-life Shane, Cara Delevingne, was joining the second season of the murder-mystery show? And remember when I said sais they’d better make her character, described as “Alice, a sophisticated art world insider who becomes enmeshed in the mystery,” gay?

Well, turned out they did. She is. And, she is going to be the new love interest to series star Selena Gomez’s character Mabel. So, um, do I get another toaster oven? Because I believe I wished this into existence. You are welcome. I accept Venmo. (Kidding! I mean I do, but kidding.)

I really enjoyed this series for its entirely unexpected chemistry between septuagenarian comedy legends Steve Martin and Martin Short with Gomez. The dad joke energy meets disaffected millennial vibe is strong with this one, but somehow it works.

The series showrunner John Hoffman revealed the new relationship in an interview with Vanity Fair. Apparently Selena and Cara have been friends for years, and that resulted in a “quick, sexy intimacy to their onscreen rapport.”

“It was amazing to have the two of them know each other and feel comfortable. It’s a little sparky in all the right ways that makes you feel like, Oh, someone’s opening someone’s world.”
So, Alice opens up Mabel to – uh – the art world. Got it.

No matter where their storyline goes, I’m pleased to add “Only Murders in the Building” to the should-be-longer list of shows that make followed my sage advice to, “MAKE IT GAY.” I will expect a small commission.

p.s. So the Season 2 teaster trailer does not give us much Mabel/Alive gay goodness. But it does give us Shirley MacLaine (and Amy Schumer), so it is kinda forgiven. For now.

2 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Okay I guess I gotta catch up on season one to be ready for this now

Panty Buns said...

I hadn't seen any episodes of this series before, but it looks funny and entertaining
I'm loving the idea of Cara Delevingne and Selena Gomez getting together on-screen :-)