Wednesday, August 11, 2021

What to Watch: Queer Lady TV Binge

So the Olympics, and all its tank tops, are over. What is a queer gal to watch now? Well, luckily, I’ve made it my (sorta) mission to watch all the new, female-fronted ensemble original series being put out right now, particularly those with queer characters/cast. No, I obviously haven’t watched them all. But, honestly, I’ve watched a lot this year. And I’m here with some recommendations because you can’t have enough shows by and about women, especially queer women.

“Hacks,” HBO Max: My love for Jean Smart and this show is well documented. If you like Jean Smart and smart, sometimes caustic women working hard to be in control of their own destinies in an unforgiving industry — this is the show for you. Also Ava/Hannah Einbinder is out and bi on the show and in real life. Definitely watch, even if the ending left us on a fairly predictable cliffhanger.

“Girls5Eva,” Peacock: I’ve also already loved all over this show. But the wonderfully chaotic comedy energy of the series, not to mention it’s spot-on satire and hilariously earworn worthy songs make it an easy weekend binge. Plus Paula Pell could not be any gayers as former “Tomboy” of their girl group.

“We Are Lady Parts,” Peacock: You’ll find hilarious, adorable nerd energy and wonderful, diverse casting in this funny and liberating look at a group of disparate young Muslim women who come together to play in a punk rock band. While I’m still waiting for frontwman Amina/Anjana Vasan to become the breakout angry rebellious queer lady heartthrob she was clearly meant to be, you’ll get the warm fuzzies from drummer Ayesha/Juliette Motamed’s unexpected crush.

“Betty,” HBO Max: Now, I haven’t started the second season, having just binge devoured the first season. But from what I have seen so far if you’re looking for a chill show that’s all vibes, occasional plot, this is for you. (And, the second half of the season does rev up the narrative drive more.) Real-life skaters were cast as the show’s female ensemble cast about a group of young women skaters who become friends while navigating the dude-heavy culture of skating. Plus, more than one out queer character! Like kinda a bunch. Which means you get to pick your type. Say, if flirty labrador retriever stoner types are your thing, you’ve got Kirt/Nina Moran. If artsy, shy types are your weakness, goodness will you be into Honeybear/Kabrina Adams. And again, I’ve only watched the first season. And, truly, I am thrilled there is a second. Because it is good, but also because I feel pretty confident more Totally Gay Shit will go down.

“Harley Quinn,” HBO Max: Yes, this is an animated series. Yes, it’s extremely violent. But, honestly, Harley Quinn may be my favorite female superhero/anti-hero/badass. I truly, truly loved the freewheeling kinetic energy of the “Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” movie. So fun and so smart and so well done nad did I mention fun? And while the animated series may seem like a bit of a pastiche of the movie, it’s truly its own weird and oddly wonderful grown-up beast (like, this is NOT a kiddie cartoon folks). And it’s gay! Harley is so queer, and so queer for Poison Ivy and, well, I won’t spoil it. But you’re gonna like the end of Season 2. (Yes, that’s my only grumble is it takes us two damns seasons to get there.)

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

Putting these in my list of shows to watch