Thursday, August 19, 2021

Kick-Ass Kate

Right, OK, so fine. I might have some untapped anger issues I’m avoiding this week. You know, it’s still a man’s world and a pandemic and all. But, every now and then, it’s not at the movies. I took great pleasure in the trailer for the new Netflix film “Kate,” which looks a bit like a John Wick-ish revenge thriller but with a female assassin and her hot neon pink muscle car. Plus, there’s a spunky female sidekick. So, I mean, it’s gotta ace Bechdel, right? And I thought “Atomic Blonde” was pretty fantastic (well, except for the Dead Lesbian Syndrome).

But what I really love is seeing Mary Elizabeth Winstead tap her inner rage. We saw her do it to more comedic, but still badass effect in “Bird of Prey” (which, again, I loved – go watch it again!). But here, damn, does she go HAM. And I can’t wait. So Hollywood types take note, female rage in an untapped well of ideas. Ass-kicking, rage-filled assassins? Sure. But have you every considered the quiet rage of a suburban housewife with a husband who calls watching his own children “babysitting” instead of “parenting?” Yeah, endless possibilities for cinematic female rage await. I’ll bring the popcorn and the slow, continuous seething anger.

3 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

So much rage

Panty Buns said...

Love it - can't wait! Thanks for the heads up. :D

happykt said...

I was just thinking where has Mary Elisabeth Winstead been for the last couple of years. She's one of my favorite actors, I loved her in Fargo, and everything I've seen her in, she is excellent in and I can't take my eyes off of her. She always portrays her characters as damaged, highly interesting, smart and sexy, which is rare combination.