Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Tank Top Tuesday: Queer Olympics Edition

Oh, you thought the Olympics were over? Well they’ll live forever in my heart. And because this year’s historic number of out LGBTQ+ athletes made it too much to chronicle each one, I will give additional special shout outs to some of the out non-medal winners for their valiant tank topping in Tokyo. A grateful nation of queer women thanks you. Showing up (in a tank top) is winning in itself.

Erica Bougard, USA, Heptathlon
Like, I can’t do one sport right. She can do seven. In a tank top. Looking like a damn renaissance painting. Whew.

Irish Magno, Philippines, Boxing
I’d like to thank boxing for making contestants wear tank tops. That is all. (Irish in red)

Melanie Henique, France, Swimming
I’ve long maintained swimsuits are just tank tops that don’t know when to quit. I stand by my decision.

Samantha Stosur, Australia, Tennis
I’ve long maintained skirts are silly and sexist for tennis players. But I will praise the tank tops. (Samantha on left right)

Rut Castillo, Mexico, Rhythmic Gymnastic
Rut is the only out Mexican-born Olympic athlete competing this year. Her tattoo says “liberty.” Also, leotards are dry-land swimsuits that don’t know when to quit, hence are also tank tops.

Rowie Webster, Australia, Water Polo
See: Swimsuit Rule. Also, the helmet somehow sets off the tank nicely.

Rachele Bruni, Italy, Marathon Swimming
So you can’t really see the tank/swimsuit, but you can see her arm. So, you’re welcome.

Kayla Miracle, USA, Wrestling
Yes, obviously, a singlet counts. I will not be taking additional questions at this time.

Michelle-Lee Ahye, Trinidad & Tobago, Track & Field
I can’t tell if this is a singlet or not, but either way it counts.

Annie Guglia, Canada, Skateboarding
I LOVED the inclusion of skateboarding these Games. And if you watched the women’s competition, you’ll have seen perhaps the best example of sportsmanship and rooting for each other I’ve ever seen at the Olympics. Also, there were a few tank tops.

Laurel Hubbard, New Zealand, Weightlifting
Laurel was the first out transgender atheletes to compete in the Olympics. And while she didn’t medal, her presence was historic and hopefully goes a long way toward dispelling the myth of unfair advantages for trans athletes.

Paola Egonu, Italy, Volleyball
This photo is helping me get over my trauma of painful volleyball gym sessions and red wrists.

Senni Salminen, Finland, Triple Jump
Senni competed alongside fellow out contestant and eventual Gold medalist/World Record setter Yulimar Rojas, coming in sixth. So hopefully they shared a secret handshake afterward together.

Rashida Ellis, USA, Boxing
I didn’t watch any of the women’s boxing this year and I’m starting to feel like that was a mistake. (Rashida in red)

Meghan O’Leary & Ellen Tomek, USA, Rowing
I am eternally grateful that most rowers wear tank tops. (Meghan & Ellen front two)

Kendall Chase, USA, Rowing
No, Kendall didn’t end up medaling either. No U.S. women’s (or men’s) rowers. But, as always we appreciate the effort and tank tops. (Kendall center)

Ann Wauters (12), Marjorie Carpréaux (9), Kim Mestdagh (5), Belgium, Basketball
Only the USA has more out women’s basketball stars, at 5, compared to Belgium’s four. (Not Pictured: Julie Allemand, also super gay)

Alison van Uytvanck, Belgium, Tennis
To make up for missing one of Belgium’s best above, here’s one for the Belgian ginger lovers.

Caitlin Rooskrantz, South Africa, Gymnastics
Again, I will not stand for leotard tank top erasure.

Aoife Cooke, Ireland, Marathon
I just hope they have Olympic-level sunscreen at these events for these athletes in the infernal heat. Think of the Irish athletes, please.

Geisa Arcanjo, Brazil, Shot Put
Geisa competed alongside Raven. So, hopefully, they shared the out Olympians handshake, too. Or better yet, an out Olympians booty shake because they’re all winners in my book.

Silvana Lima, Brazil. Surfing
Surfing was added to the schedule this year and I should have watched surfing on the schedule this year. Regrets, I have some. At least there are pictures.

My apologies to all the out Olympians whose team uniforms aren’t tank tops and didn’t make the collection. Though, obviously, if any would like to send me pictures of themselves in tank tops I will happy include you for purely scientific reasons. Cheers, Team Rainbow. You did us all proud.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Errr, it's Sam Stosur on the right of that tennis pic...

Carmen San Diego said...

I confess that when it was announced I complained but after having watched it I loved the skateboarding

Danielle Warby said...

If you change Laurel's listing to first trans woman then yes, correct. But Quinn was the first out trans person to compete. That we can even quibble over these details is pretty amazing. As an aside, I think soccer should be played in tank tops'.