Friday, March 13, 2020

My Weekend Crush

So I rewatched “Captain Marvel” last week, the first time since I saw it in the theaters. And in many ways it’s underrated. But it’s also pretty conventional in other ways. Superhero origin story meets female empowerment storyline. I still think “Wonder Woman” is a better movies, just in its construction and emotional impact. But it’s wild that pretty much those two are our only two modern female superhero stories to choose from on the big screen. So, naturally, we end up pitting them against each other.

Yet men have a billionaire guy who dresses as a bat, a guy who shoots spider webs from his hands, a guy who shrinks like an ant, a guy who is the world’s biggest Boy Scout with a shield, a guy who talks with fish, another billionaire guy who builds himself a superhero suit, a guy who is an actual god, and an alien guy with a big red S on his chest…just to name a few. All I’m saying is, superhero ladies gotta stick together. Or kiss. I’m also fine with kissing. Happy weekend, all.

2 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Wonder Woman is a better movie, you’re right. Can’t wait for WW84
Love them both, though

Karen said...

Not a fan of the comic book genre. I havent seen any of these movies. Back in the day I would watch the original Batman series with Adam West. Enjoyed that program.