Monday, September 23, 2019

Fleabag Says Thanks

HOLY CRAP, THAT WASN’T HALF BAD. SORRY, AFTER JODIE WON I PROMISED I’D TYPE IN CAPS LOCK FOREVER. RULES ARE RULES. Kidding, SORTA.

But in no way am I kidding when I say the Emmys weren’t half bad. I mean not the show’s production, which was basically a weird, host-less mess. But television’s biggest night mostly eschewed the safe and predictable and instead went for some unexpected but very, very (very, very) deserving winners. Like, I would never have thought the Academy would dare to not give Julia Louis-Dreyfus the trophy for her final year of “Veep.” But instead another three-named comedy goddess took it all in Phoebe Waller-Bridge. I know, Fleabag would be so shocked.

So here are some somewhat random (though thankfully not in all caps) thoughts about last night’s Emmy Awards.

1) JODIE! FUCKING! COMER! (Sorry, I lied about the all caps.)



Like, I know how much we all gush about Sandra Oh. But without Jodie’s gorgeously seductive psychopath, the show would just be about an overqualified lady who gets a little too obsessed with her job. Also, Jodie has a standing invite to come murder me.

2) PHOEBE! FUCKING! WALLER-BRDIGE!



When the announcers called “Fleabag” a show about a female sex addict I basically dashed all hopes of the Academy understanding its brilliant. But hot damn, did they ever. But, then, they were just following my instructions to give Pheobe all the awards always.

3) I commit myself to our Lord and Savior, Brienne of Tarth.



I mean, she’s not wrong. And Gwendoline Christie totally wore it better.

4) ALL MY BUT I’M A CHEERLEADER DREAMS HAVE COME TRUE (sorry, the struggle is real with the caps locks.)



But, seriously, Clea’s tuxedo is making me feel so validated in keeping my 20-year crush on Graham alive.



5) Michelle Williams and the damn good speech.



She eloquently reminded everyone in the room about women and particularly women of color’s worth. Now I feel extra bad about not watching “Fosse/Verdon” yet.

6) Billy Porter the EG_T.



He just needs an Oscar to join the club. But regardless he is the first out gay black man to win best actor in a drama – not to mention the only out gay black man to ever be nominated for the honor.

7) The Totally Exonerated Five.



While it was beyond great to see the Exonerated Five honored in Jharrel Jerome’s win, a quick reminder that our “president” took out a full-page ad back then to demand they be executed immediately. So, there’s that.

8) Cersei deserved better.



It remains outrageous that in eight seasons Lena Headey never won an Emmy for playing Cersei. But, as this dress implies, she’ll always be our favorite florist, regardless.

3 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

So happy for Jodie and Billy. Lena was robbed but this was the best recap of the Emmys I read all morning.
I don’t say that enough but Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent with us DS

Carmen SanDiego said...

Oh and RuPaul’s Drag Race won too!

Heidi said...

I appreciate this post AND YOUR EVERY POST. Those BRIENNE OF TARTH and CLEA&NATASHA pics make me FEEL. Thank you <3