Tuesday, July 30, 2019

The Lesbian Craft

Speaking of queer music fabulosity in this the year of 20biteen, the original Lesbian Jesus has been heard at work too. Now, on paper it makes me feel a little like a creepy old lady to enjoy a bunch of young women in Catholic school girl uniforms dancing around. But, people still revere that perv Nabokov, so I can do whatever the hell I want.

Now, having our very own lesbian pop music star is a big freaking deal on its own. But I also genuinely enjoy her music and her videos (not for the obvious reasons, ya pervs), but because they have such a cinematic quality. They’re all these little movies. They’re all the movies I wished I could watch as a baby gay, instead of the mainstream heterosexual rom-coms I had to sit through instead. Like, this is how “The Craft” went in my head. (And, as is, “The Craft” felt plenty gay, so that’s saying a lot.) Basically, Hayley Kiyoko’s music videos are pure lesbian teen dream wish fulfillment. We’re the heroines of all of the love songs, with bursting or breaking hearts. And, for once, we don’t have to chance the pronouns.

So, enjoy away, lesbians, bisexual and queer women of all ages. We’ve earned this ogling of women dancing in Catholic school girl uniforms. I mean, sincere appreciation of the progress we’ve made on pop culture on LGBTQ acceptance and the representation of romantic love. Yeah, definitely that.

1 comment:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Doesn’t Hayley Kiyoko direct her own music videos? Thank you for this wonderful gift, Lesbian Jesus