Monday, July 29, 2019

Music Monday: Gone Girls Edition

Is it just me, or does this video give off a strong Mad Max Fury Road meets Andro Queer Performance Art meets 80s High Femme Bondage vibe or what? Which, obviously, are all my favorite genres to squeeze into a music video, duh. So I guess I owe an enormous debt to Charli XCX & Christine and the Queens for nailing my exact aesthetic with “Gone.” (Kidding, my aesthetic is all those plus the scene in a Pixar movie that always makes you cry.)

Anyway, where was I? Right, this music video. Now correct me if I’m wrong – because I am in no way a music historian and also my memory is absolutely rubbish – but this is also one of the first times that two female mainstream solo artists sang what is essentially a sexy love song duet explicitly to each other in a music video? Right? Like, “Me Against the Music” was an obvious Madonna/Britney tease and we all remember t.A.T.u. But, yeah, it’s still remarkably rare to see a song featuring two female artists like this (also where at least one if queer and out, meaning Christine and the Queens – sorry I had to Google Charli XCX as is just to figure out what songs she sang, I have no seriously idea how she identifies).

So, with that, I shall watch it again. You know, for science. And, uh, history. And stuff.

1 comment:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Oh I remember t.A.T.u. alright