Thursday, June 06, 2019

Gender Fuck Gemma

I realize I still have some unresolved feelings about the “Game of Thrones” finale and unrelenting continuation of the Patriarchy both on screen and in real life. And I’m starting to realize I have some equally unresolved feelings about watching so many shows that glorify the Oligarchy (“Game of Thrones,” “Gentleman Jack”). All this is just a fancy way of saying isn’t it weird that the same actress plays both Yara Greyjoy and Marianne Lister? I will confess to it taking me way (way, way) too long to figure out that the lovely Gemma Whelan plays both on “Game of Thrones” and “Gentleman Jack,” respectively. I do wish Marian had a little more of Yara’s Gender Fuck energy – in the liking the ladies department in particular. But then I guess there can be only one in any one family at a time on television. I also can’t be the only one rooting for a few more Marian looks into the camera.

3 comments:

Hazel said...

She is great in a fabulously anachronistic feminist role in the Shakespearean sitcom Upstart Crow.

Carmen SanDiego said...

She’s a great actress
the sister’s name is Marian.

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking she would have made a better Ann Lister since her GoT character was so great.