Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Watch These Wives

Hey, remember when I got all excited because the second season of “Take My Wife” was finally available to stream and download? Well, I’ve finally had a chance to watch it (On Demand via Starz) and it’s great. It’s actually super duper great. It’s so good. I wish there was more.

I enjoyed the first season, which was good start and incredibly gay if a tad bit process-y at times (look, it happens, we’re lesbians). But the second season is even stronger, doing more showing than telling, and explores what so few shows on American explore. That being the rich, complex, interesting lives of queer women who in many cases don’t conform to the strict gender binary that has been foisted on pretty much all of us since birth. Plus, they’re funny! It’s a show that’s inclusive and funny – for real, it’s possible, people.

And not only is the second season of “Take My Wife” inclusive on screen, it was inclusive behind the camera as well. For season 2 they had an all female writers’ room that was also 43 percent women of color. Of the 47 acting roles, 22 were played by out LGBTQ actors. And they licensed eight songs to play in one of each of the show’s eight episodes – all by queer artists.

You can make really good, really gay, really inclusive content that people will enjoy. It’s possible, it’s being done. Now go watch and support it. And demand so much more of it.

4 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I bought it on iTunes, so it’s been a while since I watched it but to me it felt preachy at times. Particularly the women comics episode
I liked it but on occasion it was like they were trying to convince me that women are funny and I already know that

Karen said...

Saw one episode... didn't like it. Waiting for the L Word.

Anonymous said...

Uuuuugh Karen, you hate everything.

Anonymous said...

I watched the 2nd season recently and I really really liked it! Love these ladies:)