Thursday, May 31, 2018

Binging Eve

Does it have to be over? Does it really? Can’t we just bask in the wondrous afterglow a little bit longer? The finale of “Killing Eve” only made me love this wickedly clever and super sexy cat-and-cat (because, trust me, neither Eve or Villanelle are mice) thriller more.

[Spoilers for the “Killing Eve” season finale follow, so act appropriately]

No show on television has so thoroughly surprised and enthralled me as “Killing Eve” has its first season. My obsession with it is well documented (thanks, Autostraddle). Each time I thought I knew which way it was zigging, it would zag on me. But these weren’t just twists for twists sake. These were unpredictable moments grounded in the fundamentally unpredictable nature of humankind. We are wild, mercurial, selfish creatures at our core who can occasionally be tamed by the transformative power of the human heart.

Watching Eve and Villanelle’s relationship (because, come on, at this point it basically is one) unfurl itself has been an absolute delight. It’s also a reminder that a certain magic can happen when two extremely talented, charismatic and intelligent women are asked to engage with one another repeatedly about something other than men or motherhood (not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with either – or at least not motherhood).

And, yeah, it was also queer as fuck. In fact, this may be one of the only shows in which I genuinely think having the “villain” being an LGBTQ character is in no way problematic. Jodie Comer makes Villanelle so mesmerizing, so magnetic you kinda/definitely root for her. Like, how do you make a psychopath empathetic? It’s witchcraft, I tell you. Well, witchcraft and brilliant writing and impeccable acting.

Was I expecting Sandra Oh to be magnificent? Yes, don’t ask stupid questions. Was I expecting the rest of the cast to compliment each other so stupendously (particularly Fiona Shaw and Kirby Howell-Baptiste)? Not exactly, but I was hoping. Was I expecting Eve to trash Villanelle’s apartment, have a heart-to-heart with her, then almost kiss only to straight-up stab Villanelle and then experience instant remorse? No, of course not, who could’ve guessed that, don’t ask stupid questions.

Look, I had no idea where “Killing Eve” was going most of Season 1. And I have no idea where it’s going in Season 2. And I couldn’t be happier about it all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was SO surprised at the season finale! Things were heating up and I was like "Oh my god, are they going to...wait...OMG THEY'RE GUNNA...try to kill each other?!?!" I have loved every episode of this show and cannot wait for next season!!! The acting is amazing, women as the central characters is amazing, the writing is amazing, it's all just so...amazing:)

Anonymous said...

I love this show sooooooooooooo much!! Villanelle is extremely captivating and you want her to succeed (at killing people), which does say a lot for Comer's acting and the show's writing. And she just wants someone to watch movies with...how does that not break your heart? I'm just going to watch the finale on repeat until the next season.

AK said...

Loved watching all 8 episodes together & not having to wait weeks to finish cuz this show is so worth it.
Cannot praise it enough or wait for season two.
Also cannot wait for the Sense8 movie finale next month. Thx Dorothy for telling me to tune in to great entertainment.

Carmen SanDiego said...

That’s finale was so surprising. I loved the Neighbour lady and the trashing of the apartment but most of all the conversation they had in bed.
Thank you for this wonderful treat of a post and for recommending this show in the first place.
This season was Fantastic and I can’t wait for season 2. No idea what’s gonna happen

Anonymous said...

Total steal from Rizzoli & Isles 1x1. (That's Maura's old bed.)

http://www.shipsrus.gotchemistry.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Rizzoli-Isles-See-One-Do-One-Teach-One-Recorded-Jul-15-2010-TNTHD14-37-13-300x187.png

Tanzania said...

THIS. SHOW!!

Anonymous said...

That scene on the bed was so... heartbreaking; the way Villanelle sighed and said 'You found me'. She could let her guard down and just 'be' with Eve.

Surprised at Cloud Contact Center Providers said...

I loved every episode of this show, Thanks for this wonderful post and for recommending this show, definitely gonna watch this over and over again!