Friday, May 12, 2017

My Weekend Crush

I’m not a religious person. I don’t belong to any church. And I don’t pray. But I do, on occasions, understand the inclination. Sometimes, when I’m listening to a beautiful song or reading a glorious turn-of-phrase or looking at an exquisite piece of art, I feel moved by the mysterious. It’s not that I believe there is an invisible, all-knowing divine being guiding us – or anything remotely like that. But, on our best days, it feels like perhaps we humans do share some sort of unseen connection. Granted, the tiny warlike selfish side of us far too often cancels that out. We can be such petty, petty beasts. But it’s nice to remember that the universe is vast and unknowable, and that’s all right. At a time like this – when so many are hurt and angry and scared and worried that the fundamental institutions and principals this country has come to stand for are in jeopardy – it never hurts to send a little song or beauty or the thing atheists like me does that isn’t praying but hopefully has the same effect out into the universe. So, with that, please enjoy the sublime Brandi Carlile with an assist from the late, great Leonard Cohen. Happy weekend, all.

5 comments:

Helena said...

Thank you for this and have a good weekend Dorothy.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Atheist high-five! Have a wonderful weekend DS

Anonymous said...

Thank you. It's like I could have written this (if I were as elegantly spoken:) I have seen Brandi Carlile live many times and every single time I say that the only church I need is the church of Brandi Carlile. She is exquisite and hearing her sing - especially this song - in a grand old theatre is as close to a religious experience as I can imagine. She soothes my frayed nervous and anxious soul.

Anonymous said...

I'm not an atheist. Frankly going through life with no hope of Heaven or afterlife would be depressing.

Emma said...

Nice post Dorothy! You sound more like an agnostic that leaves a door open to deism than an atheist who categorically refuses gods in any circumstance. This is precisely why this writing is so beautiful.