Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Once I Had a Secret Love

Fine, fine. I’m sold. I am completely, totally sold. Looks like Todd Haynes, the master of elegant repression, has done it again. The teaser trailer for his new lesbian drama “Carol” is making me swoon a little. Or maybe it’s just Cate Blanchett. It’s just all the longing, sweet heavens, all the longing. All those stolen glances. All those lingering touches. Blame it on Martha Mears' and “My Foolish Heart,” but now I simply cannot wait.

p.s. Between this and “Freeheld” perhaps we are finally getting a little payback for enduring decades of terrible lesbian movies. Perhaps.

7 comments:

sofff said...

+ french movie "La belle saison" hits theaters this week (..in France, sorry guys, for once we are first ha!).
I haven't seen it yet but it got great reviews in the LGBT circle (and it doesn't hurt that my fav Cecile de France stars in it).
FYI the Director Catherine Corsini is family (along with the producer Elisabeth Perez who is her partner), so it's made by people who knows their subject ;o)
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOkPhBq_y64

Carmen SanDiego said...

Oh wow that looks so good. I'll see it on the first day

The Syncretist said...

I would call it recompense not payback, but yes, perhaps.

Helena said...

Recompense indeed. I read the book many, many years ago and can't wait to see the movie - and Cate :)

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing. And a good film to take my nieces to, so they can feel what the goog/bad ol days were like. But I'm afraid it is going to have a sad ending and be really hard to watch. Have to go when I feel strong and hopeful and have something fun to do afterward.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't have a sad ending! At least, if t is true to the book, it doesn't!!!

wally

happykt said...

The book doesn't have a sad ending. The book is also called, The Price of Salt. I bought a copy of this book in a German bookstore while serving in the US military in the mid 90s and it kept me sane. Blanchett is a great choice but about 10 years older than the original character in the book.