Thursday, August 22, 2013

For Lee

Watching “Rizzoli & Isles” was quietly painful experience this week, and not just for the glaring disregard of actual police procedure and/or common logic. Instead it was, as you well know, because of the suicide Monday of one of its stars, Lee Thompson Young. We knew and loved watching him as Det. Barold “Barry” Frost . The always kind, sometimes squeamish, secretly geeky police partner of Det. Jane Rizzoli. He was a welcome presence in any scene.

What makes his death even more shocking is that the cast has always struck me as a tight-knit group that was quick with a laugh. These, of course, could just be projections. We never truly know what is happening in someone else’s heart. But I do know that at 29 years old, Mr. Young was indeed too young to leave this mortal coil. When real-life tragedy invades our cozy world of imagination, it jars all of us back to Earth. We are reminded that life can be short and hard and seemingly senseless. So why not be as kind as you can for as long as you can.

I will miss Barry. I will miss imagining the adorable possibilities of Frostie. I hope Lee knew how much we enjoyed seeing his beautiful smile each week.








p.s. This week’s “Rizzoli & Isles” Subtext Recap will be posted today on AfterEllen in memory of Mr. Young. If you are feeling alone, please know there is help. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week.

8 comments:

Longtimelurker said...

I gasped when I heard the news of Lee's death on the radio in my office. One of my co-workers asked, 'what's wrong?' and when I told her, she said, "Just goes to show, we don't know what demons others face." So true, but still so damn sad.

Carmen SanDiego said...

So you, so sad
RIP Lee

Anonymous said...

I'm sure we all watched the episode on Tuesday wondering "why?" RIP Barold...

ARC said...

I couldn't believe it. So very very sad. I watched Tuesday nights episode thinking why? I'm sure his cast mates and friends and family are thinking the same. It's an answer no one will ever get but I truly hope they can help each other through this awful time. RIP Lee. I hope you are a peace now x

Katie said...

That one of him and Frankie dancing is one of the first scenes I thought of when I heard that he had killed himself. It's one of my favorites of the show. Ugh. So sad and senseless. Poor guy.

Anonymous said...

What longtimelurker I, too, gasped. Tragic loss for his family and friends. H will be greatly missed.

Anonymous said...

Rizzoli & Isles is back at work this morning. One more episode to film for the 2013/2014 split season. I can't imagine how devastated the cast and crew must feel without Lee.

Link to article about his funeral:
http://rumorfix.com/2013/08/angie-harmons-emotional-memories-of-lee-thompson-young-exclusive/

Anonymous said...

Thank you. *Thank you* Thank. You. I'm so sad about Lee <3