Monday, August 19, 2013

The Ever Afters

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. It’s why an unexpected mention of one of your favorite childhood books – be it “Where the Red Fern Grows” or “Anne of Green Gables” or that childhood memories juggernaut “Harry Potter” – can bring up instant emotions of communal delight. And that why lesbians everywhere goes nuts when Piper Perabo tweets Lena Headey. And why every time Renee O’Connor and Lucy Lawless hug at some public event a baby dyke gets her wings. And why the photo of Natasha Lyonne and Clea DuVall snuggling up above probably made your heart skip a big lesbian beat. I remember seeing “But I’m a Cheerleader” in theaters some 14 years ago. Yes, FOURTEEN years ago. That movie came out in 1999, people. But I think I can still recite Natasha’s big gay cheer for Clea by heart. Like childhood memories, lesbian movies memories from our formative coming out years always tend to mean the most. Hell, I happily own a copy of “Go Fish” – terrible acting and all. And it’s often the couple – whether they end up happily ever after or not – that make the biggest impression. And that couple becomes The Couple to us. Plus we gay ladies tend to be a stubbornly loyal group – once we love you we’ll love you forever. So here’s a small taste of then & now nostalgia via some of The Couples we all love

For a lot of people Megan & Graham will be The Couple of their youth. For others it’s Rachel & Luce. For others still it’s Vivian & Cay.

Lena Headey & Piper Perabo/Rachel & Luce
Lena needs to cameo on “Covert Affairs.” I’d wish for Piper to be on “Game of Thrones,” but we all know she’d probably just die a horrible death. So, you know, let’s play it safe.

Helen Shaver & Patricia Charbonneau/Vivian & Cay
See, she stayed on that train well past the next stop.

Lucy Lawless & Renee O’Connor/Xena & Gabrielle
Could you imagine if Renee showed up on “Parks & Rec” and Ron suddenly felt strangely jealous? You’re welcome for the free story idea, writers.

Natasha Lyonne & Clea DuVall/Megan & Graham
Clearly, Clea needs to get herself sent to Litchfield. Clearly.

Right, so who it The Couple for you. And, admit it, you feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about all these imaginary happily ever afters.

19 comments:

FASTTCR said...

Personal Best!

Then --> http://www.google.com/search?q=personal+best+hemingway&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=3ugRUorMJoHlyAHpjoAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=320&bih=416#biv=i%7C111%3Bd%7CkVLgnYKk154l9M%3A

Now ---> Anybody?

Amanda said...

*sniff sniff* You forgot the beloved Corky (Gina Gershon)? And Violet (Jennifer Tilly)?! Nothing like a lesbian mobster movie to kickstart a baby dyke's hormones!

Camila Costa said...

Lucy and ROC! omg omg omg *-* my lesbian heart just did skip a beat!

Sally said...

Wow, Helen Shaver looks like she has not aged at all. What a movie Desert Hearts was. Ahead of its time.

Carmen SanDiego said...

I saw BUt I'm a Cheerleader in the theater. I remember being so afraid someone was going to see me going in and ask me why I was choosing to watch that movie.
Of course that was just paranoia but, man, has it been 14 years already? Wow!
Raising a glass to Clea and Natasha and Lucy and Renee. Always

Anonymous said...

But I'm a Cheerleader was my first gay movie, when I was a tiny out and proud high schooler surrounded by nothing but suburban small town straighties and needing a lil gay love story. It will always be my favorite.

Mahlers5th said...

Vivian and Cay...!
That kiss thru the open car window in the rain still makes me shiver. I missed it in theatres (or was I too inhibited to go?) but stayed up to watch reruns on TV -- always at 2AM, natch, then who could sleep after that?

Dorothy, on another subject: you had promised one of you always thoughful commentaries (you didn't say that -- that's just me sucking up) on the recent LG controversy. Have you changed your mind about that?

In any case, thanks for the memories!

gika17 said...

Oh, for me, Idgy and Ruth from Fried Green Tomatoes, hands down!

I know they weren't an "out" couple but when Mary Stuart Masterson looks Mary Louise Parker in the eye and says, "I'm as settled as I'll ever be" my heart skipped a beat!

saw it three times in a theatre (twice by myself) then bought the book (in which their relationship is more overt).

Whenever it comes on TV late at night, I just have to stop and watch.

Anonymous said...

Xena and Gabrielle, definitely! I remember watching Xena Warrior Princess in the afternoons on TV, when I was still in high school (some twenty odd years ago). I was totally in love with Gabrielle!

Anonymous said...

for me it's the little things like if a former couple happen to guest star together I wonder if they can dive back into that familiarity. When Lauren Lee Smith (Lara) was on CSI Erin Daniels (Dana) wound up guest starring and I just saw Dana and Lara together. Also ET or something did a behind the scenes and I watched for them to be joking and goofing around BTS together.

hachiemachie said...

Yes! Idgie & Ruth!

Michelle said...

I just saw But I'm a Cheerleader for the first time last week! Fun movie. :)

Anonymous said...

I have to go with Idgie & Ruth... Aka Mary Stuart Masterson & Mary-Louise Parker. still to this day my favorite movie & I've even visited the town they filmed it in.. They kept the cafe open! Not sure how often they've been at the same event or photographed together since then but would love if they could swing it.

Anonymous said...

Xena and Gabrielle all the way though Desert Hearts was one of my first gay movies. Clea Duvall is looking stunning!

Laura said...

No Willow and Tara mention? I choose Graham and Megan, that movie was eye opening for me as a teenager.

Anonymous said...

I must have seen Desert Hearts about 50 times. The book had always been a favorite and then the movie. Made my lesbian heart sing sing sing.

Anonymous said...

Oh Yeah Fried Green Tomatoes - lovely ladies!!!

Meg said...

Willow & Tara. No contest.

Anonymous said...

Desert Hearts is a brilliant movie. I still watch.