Thursday, April 07, 2011

Gender Fuck Thursday

I will fully admit to not understanding the whole mustache meme. What’s that all about? Why does everyone have a big black fake Mr. Pringles stache all of a sudden? Kid these days. I don’t really get it. Of course, my father had a full mustache and beard for basically all of his life, so maybe I just associate it with dad things and not the apparent old-timey whimsy it’s supposed to imply. Or maybe I’m just old curmudgeony, instead of timey. What can I say, I’m just a sucker for some soft, smooth skin. Still, on Catherine Deneuve I will accept any and all facial hair. And a bowler. And a bowtie. And cufflinks. Sweet fancy Moses, I love cufflinks. Though, other than Catherine, staches just aren’t my jam. (That is what the youths are calling it, no?) I dunno. But I do know that while we may have to agree to disagree on fake facial hair, I hope we can all agree that a lady in menswear will never go out of style. Plus, she has the added bonus of never having to worry about – shall we say – unfortunate mustache tickle. And, to make amends for dissing the old-timey mustache, how about some old-timey black and white gender fuck.

[Hat tip, Jennifer for the delightful Deneuve photo above.]

Isabella RosselliniI used to have a real thing for double-breasted suits. I mean, the name alone.

Zoe SaldanaShoulder pads, on the other hand, I never had a thing for. But all of a sudden I don’t mind so much.

Anne HathawayProper tailoring is critical to allow movement. Yay, tailoring.

Milla JovovichNot everyone can pull off all white. Luckily Milla is not everyone.

Vanessa ParadisHowever, everyone should have a lounging around tuxedo. It should be, like, a rule.

Gemma ArtertonSeriously, I think this lounging around tuxedo rule could be revolutionary.

Monica BellucciAdmit it, most of your wildest dreams aren’t nearly this delicious.

Jessie Matthews, “Just a Girl” (1935)Now this kind of old-timey has my full endorsement.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne Hathaway looks good in anything! ^^

Kait B. Roe said...

oh, Dorothy. you do know how to make my day start off with a ... bang. I admit it, My wildest dreams weren't this hot, until now. thank you thank you thank you. I would woof, but that would be so rude... oh, well. WOOF!

The Notorious H.A.M. said...

Holy crap! When is Jovavich starring in the Bowie bio-pic? If only.

jennifer said...

you're very welcome! seeing La Deneuve first was such a lovely surprise..made my whole day. my whole week, actually :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Gender Fuck! I have missed them. I look forward to the next one...

alex dumas said...

Thank you for the Gemma and the Bellucci. (Though I prefer the Gemma looking like a lady.) :)

Kathryn said...

These are gorgeous photos. What a treat!

Unknown said...

I’m gonna get me a lounging around tuxedo! I wonder if I can’t get Vanessa with it…

Alexandra F-J said...

Win. Just WIN.

Lex said...

I'm not usually one for suits, butwhen you put it that way...Mmmmmm...

Anonymous said...

Botox day??
Find anothers and more natural,easy.....

Norma Desmond said...

A little Catherine Deneuve makes ANY day better.

Meg said...

I know I am dating myself, but you could throw in Julie Andrews from Victor, Victoria! And, Linda Eder from her Broadway, My Way CD. (pic http://www.megmeyer.net/images/le-bmw.jpg)

azinthesun said...

Looks like your fake wife is going to have a real 2nd baby. Her book, "Bossypants", is a huge hit. The woman is brilliant.

grasshopper said...

Oh my god. I love genderfuck thursday. How did I only find this blog today? *adds to blogroll*

Sasha said...

I crush on Milla Jovovich soooo much. XD