Monday, August 24, 2009

Black market

So by now you may have already heard that Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis are going to be in a movie together. You may have already heard that Natalie and Mila play ballerinas. And you may have already heard that Natalie and Mila have sex. OK, OK – at this point those of you who had not heard any of the aforementioned news probably have some questions, several even. Let’s back up. There is this script for a movie being made and, as can happen in this day and age, the script has leaked and, as always happens in this day and age, someone has posted their thoughts about it on the internet.

The movie, “Black Swan,” revolves around Nina (Natalie), a talented dancer in the New York City Ballet who is being primed for the lead role of the Swan Queen in “Swan Lake,” now that the company’s prima ballerina is retiring. But the company director doubts that she has a dark enough side to be able to play both the white and black swans that the role demands. So as she searches for her dark side she keeps seeing Lily (Mila), a girl who at times looks just like her but acts the exact opposite of her. Is it all in her head? Have I mentioned the director is Darren Aronofsky, the man behind “Requiem for a Dream,” “The Fountain,” “The Wrestler” and married to Rachel Weisz – lucky bastard.

Right, so at this point you’re thinking, “Jesus, Snarker. Like 200 fucking words have passed since you said “Natalie” and “Mila” and “sex” in the same sentence. Stop leaving me hanging!” This is what I know about the sex:
It’s “not just nice sweet innocent sex either. We're talking ecstasy-induced hungry aggressive angry sex.”

Has your brain stopped working altogether? Are you painting a “hungry, aggressive, angry” mental picture? Yeah – I did, too. But, and bloody hell there is always a but, once my brain started working again I started to wonder.

Particularly, I’m wondering about the “ecstasy-induced” part. Far be it for me to denigrate a good lesbian sex scene. There are so few of them we pretty much will take whatever we can get. But, once again, my joy at the joy of two women together is tempered by the fact that it is chemically enhanced. It’s the cinematic cousin to every drunken sorority girls’ hook up filmed for the fraternity boys’ enjoyment. And that is in no way good lesbian sex.

Also (more, and more disturbing, spoilers ahead) there is a rape scene in the film involving Nina and the company director. That is definitely not something I am excited about seeing, or want to see at all.

Of course, none of this means I think this is or will be a bad movie. In fact, given the talent in front of and behind the camera, it sounds like it might be a very good movie. But context being what it is, the coupling doesn’t bring the same salacious anticipation I had at first.

And then, well, then there’s the other part of my brain that is screaming, “Shut up, you damn nerd. Natalie and Mila are going to be naked. Together. What is wrong with you?” Good question.

12 comments:

mel p said...

There is nothing wrong with you! Thank you for reading between the lines/questioning the premise.

The assumption that "dark side" = "sexual pervert" is also not one that sits comfortably with me.

Steph R said...

Damn. That's all I can say- Damn! What a pair.

I might be going to see Weisz in the London stage showing of 'A Streetcar named Desire'. Thought I'd mention that seeing as you'd mentioned her. Kind of. :P

Also, I got CONFIRMATION than Ellen Page is indeed one of us. My aunt went to university with someone who is now working as a director, and she happens to be married to a PA who applied for the position of Leonardo DiCaprio's PA whilst he worked on a movie with Ellen Page. He didn't get that job, but Ellen Page needed a PA. He got THAT job. Which, lez be honest, is the greater of the two. As he was working for her he had to fly over her lover. When SHE arrived, he had to arrange for her travel and accomodation and such and such and such. He also mentioned that Ellen is a real cool girl, and that Leo was an absolute prick.

It was a good day when I was told this. It was a good day indeed.

tlsintx said...

I really like you, Snarker. You're like a sex machine with a brain...who blogs. Perfect.

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I've heard of the movie, and knew only the vaguest thing of what it's about- ballerina in turmoil, I was already half asleep...But then I saw that Rachel Weisz's husband was involved and I thought hmmmm. It might have something in it that'll scar me for life. Might have to check it out.

alice said...

Like mel p said, dark side = sleeping with a woman doesn't really work for me. Also, doesn't it seem like an awful lot of girl lovin' girls get "punished" in movies (ie. if indeed the director does rape Nina)?

aardvark said...

I had not heard about this......
And am kind of looking forward to it, despite the obvious drawbacks...

Norma Desmond said...

Something tells me that I won't be feeling the need to see this. Does that make me a bad lesbian?

Anonymous said...

I have to say I share your ambivalence here. One the one hand, eh. On the other hand, OMG, LEZZYSEX!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you when you say:

"Far be it for me to denigrate a good lesbian sex scene. There are so few of them we pretty much will take whatever we can get. But, once again, my joy at the joy of two women together is tempered by the fact that it is chemically enhanced. It’s the cinematic cousin to every drunken sorority girls’ hook up filmed for the fraternity boys’ enjoyment. And that is in no way good lesbian sex."

I don't know, I'm kinda sure that the "ecstasy-induced" part will ruin the scene for me... so I'm not exactly excited about it.

Carol said...

Yeah, my sugar-frosted ("Lez-sex? With those 2?") side is battling with my whole wheat ("When are we NOT going to be the freak side show?") part on this one, too.

I also battle with the idea that, hey, we want to be treated like everyone else, that means freaky, edgy, insane, criminal, whathaveyou characters can just happen to have same sex encounters/relationships, too.

Which of course would be easier to take if we got all the fluffy romance movies that straight pairs get to have, as well. I imagine if the majority of straight couples in film we saw only hooked up when insane, forced to or drugged, the disparity would be more obvious generally.

And yet, my libido doesn't care what socio-political objections my brain has. Dammit.

With the people involved, I think a wait and see on this one is merited... I don't think it will be a Basic Instinct exploitation kinda thing...

MakingSpace said...

I think they look like identical twin sisters. That does not rock my boat. All other objections aside. I don't think I could watch it. Also at least one of them should consider eating. I know, I know it's Hollywood. But please. Somebody. Eat. Something. Anything.

wanda d. said...

I was thinking the other day who Jennifer Beals meant when she said another actress applied for the role of Tina. She said the actress had a psychology degree from Harvard. I looked it up and I only came up with Natalie Portman. Then I remembered the scene when Jenny was throwing a "punching" tantrum at Tina because they didn't get Natalie Portman. And now, she's going to have a sex scene with another woman. She seems to be residing a bit on my mind these past few days. I am curious about how good this movie will be.