Monday, March 23, 2009

Let the Sunshine In

Sunshine Cleaning

I want “Sunshine Cleaning” to be good so badly that it makes my teeth hurt. I mean, it's a movie about two women, directed by a woman and written by a woman. It's like we've crossed over into a bizarro version of Hollywood where people actually think women have interesting and important stories to tell. Crazy! So far reviews have been generally favorable. OK so Ebert, The New York Times and Salon didn't love it. But the San Francisco Chronicle, Los Angeles Time and – most important – The Linster all gave it the big thumbs up.

So, now, besides my obvious interest in supporting a woman-centered, woman-created project like “Sunshine Cleaning,” the story about two sisters who start up a crime scene clean up business seems all sorts of interesting. And the cast? Come on, Amy Adams, Emily Blunt and Mary Lynn Rajskub (who also happens to play a lesbian). And thanks to Linster, I now am all a tingle about the prospect of a Emily and Mary Lynn candy necklace encounter.

Really, my only disappointment so far is that Amy and Emily play sisters. The whole sibling thing makes me feel a little weird about all the fantasy sequences in my head. Ahem.

13 comments:

jess said...

Saw it this weekend, and unfortunately the ending was just as bad as the L word finale. No resolution on anything. I'd give it a 2/5 . Acting was topnotch, but the story went nowhere.

ElleGrrrl said...

I am greatly anticipating seeing it this weekend (if I'm able to tear myself away from my volunteer duties for the GLAAD Media Awards, that is) and find it just a bit more than funny that the two actresses names are "Emily and Amy". Anyone else seeing the irony here?

Anonymous said...

I saw it this weekend with friends. A lesbian, a straight woman, and a gay man all agreed that it was a great little movie. I highly recommend it!
HK

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up DS. It hasn't arrived in my city yet. But I plan to go...it passes the Alison Bechdel(Mo's)standard...yippee!

Anonymous said...

O_O! I have that fantasy too!

Anonymous said...

i saw the ad on tv.
guess it's fun.

TheWeyrd1 said...

The Denver Post review was better than luke warm... I'm still gonna see it. I'm planning to take a friend who is a girl who is a lesbian...who I like, but ya know it will probably end with a hug goodnight. I need to find new date material...or else write a movie about this...lol

Morcegos no Sótão said...

Oh Lord! O_O

I love BOTH Emily Blunt and Amy Adams!! And they're together in a woman-centric movie?! Why, oh why did they have to play sisters?

MJNuts

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about this film because it's directed by Christine Jeffs who did an AMAZING film called "Rain", based on the equally fantastic novella by Kirsty Gunn. She was also hired to direct "Sylvia", but only at the last minute, so I can forgive how that turned out.

Norma Desmond said...

The two leading ladies are absolutely amazing, of course, but I gotta admit the movie itself was only so so. The concept was SO good, the cast was SO good, and I wanted to like it SO much, but... alas. The ending did leave something to be desired, but in no way would I liken it to the L Word finale! Definitely worth the view, regardless of its shortcomings.

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie on Saturday and loved it. They have great chemistry as sisters and you genuinely feel for their hardships.

I'm a huge Emily Blunt fan but never really seen Amy Adams in anything and now I have nothing but respect for her. She is fantastic in this movie. I highly recommend this movie to anyone.

Anonymous said...

o, goodnight ds,
have fun today?
see you.

pics look nice~

Anonymous said...

I have never even heard of this movie before now. Sounds awesome, though. I'll definitely have to check it out.