Friday, February 16, 2024

My Weekend (Wicked) Crush

OK! Fine! I’m excited! I’m gay, I can’t help it! I don’t know why, but I wasn’t super excited for the film adaptation of Wicked. (Wait, I know why, Ariana Grande – which is probably unfair but the truth.) That is, I wasn’t super excited until I saw the trailer during the Super Bowl. Yes, I know, advertising works.

I love how the world is at once so familiar and also brand new in all its gleaming fantasticalness. This is definitely not Kansas anymore. While you can’t truly judge based on just 1-minute of footage, what I see so far seems like a worthy successor (well, predecessor) to the merry old land of Oz.

Also, how great does Cynthia Erivo look in Elphaba green? I love everything about her look, especially her glasses. And that reveal of her gravity defying high note? Entirely her own, and entirely amazing. It is thrilling to have a queer star in such an iconic role. Heck, I even think Ariana looks good. So, I guess I’m just gonna be over here impatiently tapping my ruby slippers until Thanksgiving. What? I’m not named Dorothy for nothing. Happy Wicked weekend, all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That trailer was absolutely stunning! I’ve never gotten into Wicked before, but I’m considering it now.

Anonymous said...

Funny I’m not excited due to Cynthia Erivo and I like Grande, not her music right enough but as a personality.
We’re all different eh? Honestly, I’m just incredibly repulsed by septum piercings.

I know it’s irrational, I know it’s conditioning, I’m sorry I’m conditioned!

HUGE Wicked fan, but can’t see myself watching. Not even the trailer.
Wish they’d done this when Idina & Kristin were considered young enough

Carmen San Diego said...

I’m a huge Wicked fan my enthusiasm was deflated when they announced the movie was going to be two parts, with one year wait between the first and the second part. Totally unnecessary, just a cash grab.
Then I was deflated again when they announced Ariana Grande. She is good as a singer but she doesn’t enunciate her words, I can’t understand what she’s saying.
But it looks good, So I will probably catch it on streaming

Anonymous said...

It’s in two parts? Hell no.