Friday, February 02, 2024

My Weekend Crush

So, here’s the thing about going to see your heroes…YOU SHOULD DO IT! I had a great time going to Tina Fey & Amy Poehler’s Restless Leg Tour and highly recommend the experience for anyone thinking about checking out the show when it slides into your town. The show was split up into sections. If you plan to go and don’t want to be spoiled, stop reading now and go buy your ticket and have a really lovely weekend. If not, please continue and I will tell you the tale of when a Gen X queer lady saw her two favorite Gen X heroines (And — to steal a line from Liz Lemon — by heroine, I mean lady heroes. I don’t want to inject them and listen to jazz…)

First, Tina and Amy come out in evening gowns. Sparkly, sparkly evening gowns. Tina called Amy her “TV husband” and honestly I think she stole that from me since she is my Fake TV/Film Wife, but fine. I understand art is collaborative. Then, they asked the audience for some cues and told the story of how they met more than 30 years ago in Chicago via improv. Tina wore overalls. A dildo was involved in our story, so suggest accordingly if you go.

Over the course of the show they also brought out the Weekend Update desk (with a surprise cameo from Fed Armisen), came out for individual stand-up sets and then took (written) questions from the crowd in their pajamas. Yes, kittens, I have seen Tina Fey in her pajamas. Please respect my privacy in this time of great emotional upheaval.

Tina’s description of the crowd and vibe in this Fallon clip are, of course, incredibly accurate. Though I didn't see any HomeGoods bags in the audience, I’m pretty sure a few of my fellow audience members had them in their trunks. Anyway, this post is also a reminder to myself to go see the “Mean Girls” movie which I haven’t yet for lying around and rotting throughout January reasons. But, now that I’ve successfully taken myself to Tina & Amy’s show, (and it is no longer January) anything seems possible. Fine, not anything, but I did manage to go to one of their 7:30 p.m. shows (instead of the 4 p.m. show right before). So, that’s at least something to feel smug about. Happy weekend, all.

1 comment:

Carmen San Diego said...

So glad you had a great time and saw Tina and her pajamas. I guess you will be in your bunk for the rest of the weekend