Thursday, May 30, 2019

Gender Fuck Gentleman

I have lots of feelings about “Gentleman Jack.” Mostly I feel delighted this very detailed and completely unique historical lesbian drama exists - and was just renewed for a second season. I also feel rather swoony about Suranne Jones’s unapologetic swagger as Anne Lister. But then there’s a part of me that also feels - a little too frequently for my liking - cringey as I wait for the historically accurate homophobia to happen.

Now, some of this is because this is a 19th Century story mired in the realities of the time it is being told. But a lot of the cringing is because I’ve found myself more and more wanting to watch stories about LGBTQ people – even historical pieces – without knowing some form of inevitable homophobia will happen. While it is still important to tell the stories of our coming out and stories of the very real misery, injustice and violence that has befallen our community, we grow weary of those being our only stories.

It’s like, “Yes, I Know This Is The Bad Place, But Can I Lady Get A Happy Story Just This Once?” (This, as I’ve mentioned, is part of the reason I loved “Booksmart” so much.)

The good news is, I have some faith in Sally Wainwright’s smart storytelling (yes, yes, I understand there are lingering “Last Tango In Halifax” resentments). I trust that the writers will not let the homophobia be the only thing driving Anne and Ann’s love story, but just another unfortunate obstacle to overcome. So I will try to get over my reflexive fear of being narratively gay bashed, and just enjoy this epic, sweeping, first-of-its kind lesbian historical romance. (Yes, yes, I know I can just read up on Anne Lister’s real-life journals to see how it all turns out - but I’m being told a story…)

So while, yes, the real (and on-screen) Anne Lister is a bit of a classist snob (like, how can she hate a man who sells carpet that much, ahem), she is also an entirely relatable lesbian woman. I mean who hasn’t wanted to storm about in nice pantsuits, push around a bunch of mediocre white men, make-out with her (way too mousy) girlfriend who happens to have the same first name (I told you, relatable lesbian storyline is relatable), and get a fair price for her coal. Well, you know, mostly relatable.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I completely agree. And Suranne Jones’s acting is completely on point. She’s spot on with both the angst and the joys of any relationship’s emotional rollercoaster. Between her and the exquisite writing it all feels very genuine and accurate to the history while being totally relevant now. Kudos to all.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Suranne Jones’s Killing it with the swagger
So happy that it got renewed

Carmen SanDiego said...

And I haven’t loved opening credits this much since The Fosters

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love this show and Jones’ acting! I feel like the whole thing is really well done and I’m so happy to have this kick ass woman’s story told. And I agree with Carmen, I love the opening credits too:)