Friday, April 04, 2014

My Weekend Crush

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I get weepy about commercials. Maybe it’s a family having that first cup of coffee together after a long period apart. Or a good dog who finally gets a forever home. Or any of those damn Google Chrome commercials. I can’t help it. Beneath this ink-black heart is a soft, marshmallow center. But you know what really, really chokes me up? When commercials treat what has for so long been considered “other” – race, gender, sexuality, whathaveyou – as something of worth that is worth presenting. So all these advertisers who include LGBT people and families, man, do I get a little verklempt. I know the cynical, hard side of my heart should say we’ve become just another commodity to sell a product. But if the all-mighty dollar is in a way the greatest equalizer. The “values” that companies once courted now include us. And, in fact, not accepting us as another part of the world worth recognizing has in fact become the opposite of profitable. The new CEO of Mozilla just resigned because of outrage caused by the disclosure of his contributions to the anti-gay marriage Proposition 8. I can’t imagine anything close to that happening 10 years ago. But today, to be anti-gay is quite simply bad for business.

But you know what really, really, really chokes me up? When a company goes out of its way not only to include us, but to defend us. Sure, show a gay couple in your ad. But when the haters come out, it’s how you respond that often shows the truest of colors. So this weekend my crush is on that most wholesome of things. It’s on the goodness of Honey Made graham crackers, that simple snack for kindergarteners everywhere and the foundation for every great s’more. Last month the company put out a commercial titled “This is Wholesome,” which featured gay and interracial couples. And, of course, the crazies emerged. But what they did afterward? Well, let’s just say I’m going to go buy a box of Honey Maid this weekend and have a good, happy cry. Happy weekend, all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn, and now I have to find a way to buy Graham crackers 'round here !

Helena said...

I am in Turkey at the moment and the government has blocked You tube and this ad on your site.This morning the Supreme Court overruled the decision and hopefully the site will be up soon. Will watch it then and in the meantime USA value your freedoms :)

Anonymous said...

Just put Honey Maid Grahams at the top of my grocery list. If it wasn't 5:00 a.m., I'd run out right now and get them!

Kaz said...

Weepy is right !! Sniff sniff .. good one Snarker

MizGarfield said...

Working late on a Friday night: of course I got weepy. Can't help myself. :D

Anonymous said...

This makes many of us straight white people married to other straight white people weepy too. Because we love our gay and bisexual and interracially married friends, and we are so happy to see the moral arc of the universe bending toward justice.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this. This is perhaps the greatest sign of change I have ever seen. Not exaggerating. There is no political campaign going on here. This is just as simple as right and wrong and they are on the side of what's right and they don't have to be. They could just as easily, perhaps more easily, be silent - and yet they are making a statement on behalf of fairness and love and equality. I love, love, love it. Definitely buying some Honey Maid graham crackers on my next shopping trip!

Shannon said...

Again you've summed up my exact sentiment far better than I ever could! I love it.

egghead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
egghead said...

Well, clearly, we outnumber the damned haters, crazies. Clearly.

I will buy some. (Btw, don't buy Brawny towels.)

Anonymous said...

love the idea of the ad., but can we just waste less papers?