Sunday, January 31, 2010

They brought back the world

The thing about Joss Whedon is that in his heart he is a romantic with a stubborn apocalyptic streak. He likes to tear things apart to see if they can be put back together again. Lovers. Sunnydale. Civilization. The “Dollhouse” finale Friday night was classic Joss filled with tragedy, redemption, sacrifice and love. People died in a flash, no lingering just gone. But in the end, she saved the world (but just this once).

Everyone involved with “Dollhouse” should be proud of what they’ve created – grand, complex and at times messy television that was never afraid of big ideas. It’s stunning to think how far the show came in just two short seasons. From what sexy mission can we send Eliza on this week to the end of the world as we know it. It wasn’t always seamless and at times it was like watching “The Secret Diary of a Brainwashed Call Girl.” But those of us who trusted in Joss where richly rewarded.

“Epitaph Two: Return” was a brilliant leap of faith with the viewers. If you hadn’t seen the first season DVD bonus episode “Epitaph One,” you’d be as lost as the dumbshows wandering the streets. But Joss & Co. knew we’d happily jump with them. With a ride this good, we had no choice. Still, it’s hard to think of what we’ll never get to see because of the show’s abbreviated run. (Like, when did Alpha turn good? Why did Priya and Tony split? How exactly did the tech bring about the apocalypse?) But in a way, not having time focused the show down to its most essential, urgent stories.

And, you’ve got to hand it to Joss, he slipped in a lesbian for us ladies after all. Sure, it came in the very last episode ever. But anyone who makes Felicia Day gay is genius. For those who missed the references, Felica’s character Meg tells Zone that “the little Asian’s kind of cute.” And that “little Asian” happens to be a girl.

(p.s. Here’s the cute little Asian in question, played by “Dollhouse” writer Maurissa Tancharoen.)

Though, in hindsight, we should have know. I mean, it was so obvious. Two words: Cargo pants.

Later, Meg goes to the cute little Asian’s room while they’re both convalescing. And for her part, cutie was majorly enamored with Echo and her abilities, so I think Meg might have a shot. Dammit, Fox. Look what you missed out on by canceling this show: hot lesbian hookups. Idiots.

I guess in the end I’m just happy to have been able to watch a show that, while never perfect, was always bold, brave and brimming with strong, smart and sexy women. Even if it was only for a little while.

13 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so sad its over. Love that he made Felicia Day a gay.

Norma Desmond said...

This show was wonderful, while it lasted. I will never stop wondering what incredible journey we would have been taken on had it been allowed to play out. NEVER. FANTASTIC ending that had me, I will admit it, bawling like a little girl. As always. Well done, Joss, yet.a.gain.

*sigh* I'm going to end up buying this one on DVD, too, aren't I?

Anonymous said...

Maurissa's character's name was Kilo, she was a doll in previous episodes. Also, Felicia's character's name was Mag.

The cargo pants comment made me laugh.

Adelle broke my heart and made me fall in love with her again in every scene, I love her to death.

So sad it's over. Don't know what to do now.

Katie said...

It was an excellent series and finale. I'm very sad to see it go.

Robin said...

Thus the mourning (read: "rewatching") process begins. This finale was, as expected, beautiful and inspiring and gut-wrenching. Given the events of the last few episodes, I kind of need to go back to the beginning and see it again with all the new information in mind.

Once again the writers and actors delivered the goods. And since no one's mentioned him yet, big ups to the astounding Fran Kranz. He made our boy Topher heartbreakingly crazy and brave in the face of unspeakable horrors.

Anonymous said...

What happened to Naked Lady Monday?
I loved those Mondays.

SALOU said...

Ah wait, the cargo pants! hahahaha..i'm SO laughing right now

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

Season 2 came together beautifully. Case in point: The evolution of Topher Brink, not to mention Adele. Echo was never a character that was fully realized, but maybe that was the intent, since she was a multi layered imprint. I dunno., But I do know that I'll miss the show :(

belle said...

I have been pretty sick over the loss of the dollhouse. I love joss for all the fabulousness that he is ...I eat up his stories and watch them over and over. I also love your blog ( I am a lurker) in many;all the satsifaction of pop trash twisted in to a beautiful intelligent view! I will keep lingering here lady

Fiona said...

It will be missed :(

Thaler said...

By lesbian, you mean lesbian or bisexual right? You lesbians, always leaving us out in the cold. ;)

Team Serrins Springfield said...

We just got around to watching the finale last night and it was fantastic. I had trouble sleeping from wrapping my head around it. I love that they made Mag gay/bi and interested in the "little Asian". BTW: "Dollhouse” writer Maurissa Tancharoen" is also known as Joss Whedon's wife and she was Kilo the active who Topher uses to demonstrate the gun inprint thing.

Team Serrins Springfield said...

Sorry. That should say "Jen Whedon's wife."