Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Democrats get their gay on

The Democratic presidential hopefully will go gay for the first-ever debate on gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues to be hosted and broadcast by LOGO August 9. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama and John Edwards are already confirmed and other candidates may join. Well, that’s quite an interesting development. I’m overjoyed that gay issues are being taken seriously in the campaign. The event will certainly be a landmark moment for gay rights, possibly as big as when Bill Clinton becoming the first sitting president to address a gay organization 1997. I haven’t made up my mind yet on which candidate to support (basically I just want a Democrat to win, period), so perhaps this will help. Hopefully, Elizabeth Edwards’ progressive stance will rub off on her husband and the other candidates.

The candidates will field question from a panel including Human Rights Campaign president Joe Solmonese and Melissa Etheridge. Uh, Melissa, really? Clearly, I have nothing against Melissa Etheridge. She’s a great advocate and a powerful singer. Plus every gay gal has at least one of her CDs. (Seriously, even if you didn’t buy it and have no idea how it go there, it’s in your album collection. Go ahead, look. It’s in there. I think it comes free with the toaster oven.) But I think they might be stretching a little having an entertainer on a serious political panel. Do the organizers really need a famous face to get people to pay attention? Maybe I’m just hyper sensitive to any potential criticism or claims of sideshowism the insane right-wing will undoubtedly hurl our way. That said, I’m sure she’ll do a great job since she is well-versed and sincerely passionate. And, maybe she could serenade Hillary with that Hott4Hill song. Finally, a platform I can get behind: Putting a hot chick in the Oval Office.


NOTE: The debate will also be streamed live at LOGOonline.com. So all you cable-free folks can still “Go Gay in ’08.”

3 comments:

Gargy said...

Barrack Obama is my man, but like the rest of all the current Presidential Hopefuls(Democrat/Republican/Independents...a like) are all bootlicking (not taking the opposite stance of homophobia/bigotry Bush has) or they are "the homophobic" stance and Bush-Robots. But, Barrack is the most all-around best (or the lesser of all evils involved)...but, if, NYC Mayor Bloomberg gets in the race and keeps his Equal Rights for all American Citizens stance......I'll be voting Bloomberg, if he does not enter the race.....unless, Barrack starts doing some really political Harry Karry-ing I'll be voting Obama.......however, if it's a choice between Hillary and a Bush-Clone......I'll vote Hillary.

Amanda said...

Hm, I don't know who I'm for really. As far as I'm concerned Hillary is a bad-ass, but I'll do some research first on the off chance another candidate posses even more bad-ass qualities. Yeah...

I wish I had LOGO so I could watch the debate. That's the problem when you don't have digital cable or satelite. I wonder if anyone is going to record the whole thing.... ?

Anonymous said...

Oh I think Melissa Etheridge is MUCH more than an "entertainer"!
Did you watch Live Earth? Have you watched "Inconvenient Truth"?
Melissa is a fantastic choice to co-chair this discussion.
There goes someone who "walks her talk"
We need more people like this.