Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Go south, young woman...

So I watch “South of Nowhere.” Yes, I realize this is a show about high schoolers. Yes, I realize it is on a channel called The N. Yes, I realize both these things would indicate that this show is aimed at teens and younger. Yes, I realize I am nowhere near my teens. So shoot me with a perv gun. Why do I watch? Two words: teenage lesbians* (did I mentioned the perv gun?) Actually, the show is fairly smart, if overly packed with teen Drama (capital D). It started its second season on Friday and you can read a hilarious recap over at AfterEllen. Watching the premiere made me realize how rare it still is, even in the 21st Century, to find shows where the lesbian storyline is the main storyline. Usually we're relegated to supportive best friend or peripheral professional colleague land. So three cheers for teenage lesbians! Now let's see how many hits typing "teenage lesbians" gets me.

EDITOR'S NOTE: In my defense, the actresses playing the comely teenage lesbians are 20 and 22, respectively. So put away the handcuffs... Wait, let me rethink that...

No comments: