Sunday, October 29, 2006

There's no place like home

I’m back. And, during my two weeks abroad, I made two salient if somewhat random observations.
  1. The effortlessness with which European women drape scarves around their necks and shoulders leaves all my efforts looking like a Boy Scout’s clumsy attempt at a knot-tying merit badge.
  2. When looking for ways to pass the time in public, it is always fun to play the “Is she a dyke or simply Dutch” game while watching the parade of short, spiky-haired middle aged women walk by.

Hope your last two weeks were equally eventful. And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work with a Dutch woman from time to time, and one of my colleagues asked me if I thought she was gay. My response: "I don't know. Maybe. Or just European. My gaydar doesn't seem to work internationally."

Anonymous said...

Hi from Amsterdam,
Cool of you to visit our little country! And yes there are many many middle-aged women with short haircuts. It seems to be the go to haircut when your kids have been sent off to college.
xxx suus