Wednesday, October 05, 2011

The BOY is mine

I think I’m in love. It’s all very unexpected, as these things often are. It happened suddenly, and took less than four minutes to take hold. But now, woo doggy, am I in deep. And, like any new love, I want to tell the whole wide world how happy I am. Oh, kittens, kittens – I’m in love with a BOY. Wait, wait – stop throwing things at me. It’s not that kind of boy, but BOY, a new female-fronted group from Europe. BOY is Swiss singer Valeska Steiner (above, right) and German bassist/guitarist Sonja Glass (left). The duo just released their debut album last night and I am smitten. Smitten, I say. And it’s not just puppy love. It is the real thing.


Lovely, no? Now, I’m not necessarily a believer in open relationships. But in this case I will made a definite exception. Because when you find something so sweet, how can you not share it with everyone? The ladies have a tender, jubilant sound. Intimate, accessible and with just the right amount of haunted. They remind me a little of Feist, which is never a bad thing. Also, heavens, are these two ladies pretty.

Now, like many relationships, I have someone else to thank for introducing us. So I will be eternally grateful to Emmy from Berlin who sent me an email about BOY. I opened her link in the deep, dark of the night expecting nothing only to discover untold wonders. In fact, this is what I found.


See? Love at first sight, I tell you. Also, notice the pronouns on that first verse? Such a kitten, so smitten.

24 comments:

Riayn said...

Thank you, thank you for introducing me to this awesome band. The bass player is from the German town where I now live (Hamburg) and their website says that they will be touring this autumn. Alas, both their gigs in Hamburg are already sold out. Hopefully, they will add some more.

kani said...

I saw them last week in a german show called "Ina's Nacht" where the host Ina Müller always invites her favourite newcomer bands and sings a little song with them. They performed Drive Darling and I can't get the song out of my head since then....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjOcbCiy-E

Anonymous said...

sounds kinda like a stronger Feist. nice.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Wowza. Thank you, kani, for posting that additional link-- it is so enchanting.

Also, did anyone else think Sonja Glass looked like Marina from the L Word with a cute haircut, in that first picture? :p

Ooo, lovely Ms. Snarker... You make my days complete.

Daniela Ktenas Design said...

it's a female version of the kings of convenience!

;) babs said...

what a coincidence, I saw their video of "little numbers" last night for the first time and instantly bought tickets for their show!

LM said...

i think Sonja Glass vibes spells a little Lena Headey. uhm... yum?

mel p said...

I have just been whingeing on my facebook page about trying to buy their album from an indie website instead of amazon. not happening, damnit. They are great, though, eh? I also live in Hamburg and am v. glad to claim them!

Lenore said...

I just bought their album on the Groenland Records site, but I can't unzip it :( Boo.

Alice said...

wow! love love love! thanks for turning me onto a great new band!

Mia said...

wow x2

boy they're good (and cute) - obvious line, i know ;)

now the comparision to feist, i wouldnt say they are "stonger" then miss leslie feist - have u heard sealion?! so much energy!

wonderfull discovery this boy band :)

Carmen SanDiego said...

oh wow. now i like BOY! that hasn't happened since the 90s!
Thank you Snarker. What would I do without you?

Sinclair said...

I've never heard of them! thanks :)

Ace said...

I've been listening to "Little Numbers" pretty much nonstop for the last two days. I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you.

Anonymous said...

Am I crazy or do they seem a bit like girlfriends?

I also had problems unzipping the folder after I downloaded from Groenland Records, but I emailed them and they gave me a new copy that works great! I've basically been listening to it nonstop the past couple days.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm in love too Ms Snarker. Glad you don't mind sharing.

Rosie said...

Thanks Dorothy! I have never heard of them but I love seeing videos filmed in Barcelona...I know it's Barcelona because I live there:)

Patricia said...

try the sweedish sisters from "First Aid Kit". Pretty much the same, and pretty much the opposite. Grapevine says the brunet is gay (Hard Believer says everything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDG8xqz7BIk&feature=related)

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!! Loved it, thanks for the share!

K said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx-L8hxrJlg

The pronouns!

Hanna said...

Their music is great! Have been listening to their youtubes for the last month or so - over and over.. I am excited to be seeing them live tomorrow!

novoemais said...

are they girlfriends? they look like they're together, they're just so cute! Valeska Steiner is the cutest girl ever :) i think i'm in love

Anonymous said...

I happened upon this group today...little late and love the infectious song, Little Numbers,...i think they are great...and i think they like each a lot. see the interview Candid...dont know Feist well..i welcome this group!thanks again !