Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grey’s gays

I've already admitted that I don't watch “Grey's Anatomy.” It's too “look at my navel, isn't it's fascinating” for my taste. But even I can't help but get excited at the prospect of the return of Callie and Erica in one week. An actual female gay couple on scripted broadcast television? And neither one is pregnant? (Oh, yeah, Shonda Rhimes kiboshed that speculation, hallelujah!) Now, all you Callica fans can finally see the real thing after months and months of tiding yourself over with fanfic. So, what will the new season hold for TV's favorite (read: only) female doctor couple?

According to The Ausiello Files, fans will have to wait to the end of next Thursday's season premiere for the good stuff. But when it comes, it could be very good indeed. He reports:
“There's an awesome, awkward, totally endearing scene between the two of them at the end of the premiere. Sara Ramirez, in particular, is just fantastic.”

Awesome? Awkward? Endearing? That sounds like my first lesbian kiss, but you'd also have to add “Clumsy” to my list of adjectives. And, is it just me, or does Sara Ramirez look a little extra gay in this still from the first episode?

[Click to examine for gayness]

Though, seriously ABC, could you have possibly seated Sara and Brooke Smith further apart in this promo shot? Sheesh, why not ship one of them to Siberia, it would be closer.

In other news, Ausiello hints that the Callica love train may not be the only Sapphic action at Seattle Grace this season. Could it be that the the new female intern (Janina Gavankar, but she'll always be Papi to you and me) is also bisexual? Again, he reports:

“Meanwhile, looking ahead, there's buzz that Callica may not be the only members of Seattle Grace's rapidly expanding LGBT community. Although I haven't been able to confirm this, there's a rumor going around that when the casting call for the new female intern went out last month, interested parties were told they had to be comfortable making out with both men and women. Coincidence then that the actress who got the role hails from The L Word? Only time will tell!”

While it's a tad obvious to go with an L Word actress for the role, I'm always happy to see more of The Gay on the old idiot box. Imagine that, three gay woman on one show. What a concept. Damn, I may actually have to start watching, navel lint and all.

12 comments:

Lezlie Mac said...

If they don't give Papi a hat and that she gets to speak without the latino babe accent, I might watch..

Anonymous said...

LOL
yes, callie/ramirez does look extra gay and muy caliente in the still!

I can't wait for the new season to begin, dr. hahn is so cool, and I hope she kicks mc steamy's ass and we'll see more callica romance and hopefully not too much drama/angst...!

;)) babs

The Gentleman said...

I can't wait fod G'sA to start again... expecially now that the pregnancy scare is been avoided...

jennifer from pittsburgh said...

I used to hate Grey's with the white hot passion of, you know, a thousand suns. But this summer Caty got me to start watching the reruns and I discovered that I hated it a lot less. Crazy, I know! I'm looking forward to the new season the further development of the Callica relationship.

Anonymous said...

Man, opening your blog to find a giant picture of Sara Ramirez will never not be awesome.

She's been my favourite character for years and I always thought she had that vibe that would make her easy to gay up, but I never thought they'd actually do it. Plus, she is hotter than the *sun*, and when was the last time a superhot longterm regular character turned out to be gay/bi on scripted television? Never, that's when. Well played, Grey's Anatomy. Well played.

TheWeyrd1 said...

Dorothy...I'm with you on that navel lint stuff. I wasn't a Grey's fan either, but for the story line alone, I did check it out toward the end of last season...sigh. Hooked now, but only for them...well...and maybe for the other ladies, but definitely not for any of the guys...well maybe I'd see what T.R. is doing cause he's family and all...

Anonymous said...

I watch Grey's Anatomy for pretty much everyone but the title character... who much like Ally McBeal before her is just one of the most annoying and whiny characters on TV (IMO).

I've enjoyed Sara Ramirez since she first came on the scene and was beyond thrilled at the turn her storyline took. I'm most looking forward to the continuation of this storyline when Grey's returns, and couldn't be happier to find that neither character is expected to be pregnant.

Callie and Hahn all the way!!!

Anonymous said...

Sara's sportin' the lesbian hand tuck in that picture...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm super, super excited about these two. Sara and Brooke will "represent" very well indeed, I think. And it will be fun to watch. To say the least.

I just hope they're able to be as frank about showing the physical side of their relationship (AKA: SEX) as they freely do with the straight couples. No chaste kisses on the cheek, please!

What I've always considered "My Mother's show" will now be a little bit mine, too, now.. :)

Anonymous said...

I want Christina Yang to have a good story arc this season. She was wasted last season, languishing on the side lines.

I'd like her to get some girl-on-girl action, even if its only temporary. There was talk a few seasons ago that she might have an ex-gf visit the hospital. Alas, that didn't happen...sigh...

Anonymous said...

i love Grey's and always have, sure I'll love it even more NOW!!

Anonymous said...

Callie and Papi on 1 show!?!? You just made me day!!!