Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Maddow about you

I am remiss. I am terribly remiss. I am so freaking remiss, I am practically remiserable. The thing is, I haven't mentioned Rachel Maddow on this blog before. Not once. Not at all. What the hell is wrong with me? My only excuse is that I just stick a pinkie toe into the deep waters of political discourse now and then. Sure I dabble, but I leave all that really wonky stuff to the professionals. But here I am, ages after I started watching her on MSNBC, and I still haven't acknowledged the sheer awesome that is Rachel.

Why so awesome? Gee, let's see. Rhodes Scholar. Oxford Ph.D. Utter liberal. Air America host. MSNBC political analyst. Keith Olbermann's more handsome stand-in. Pat Buchanan's worst nightmare. Tucker Carlson's worst nightmare. Joe Scarborough's worst nightmare. Funny. Articulate. Unflappable. Affable. Gosh, I feel like I'm forgetting something... Oh yeah, gay – totally gay.

Over the past year Rachel's star has been steadily on the rise in an industry long known as a boys club. But while other political commentators have made names for themselves largely based on bluster and bullying, Rachel has shone because of her pure, unstoppable smarts. She is the kind of smart that makes the progressives swoon and the conservatives implode. In fact, I'm pretty sure her very existence makes the right wingers' heads explode. Heck, that alone is enough reason to wish her all the success in the world.

Granted, I haven't agreed with every single one of her opinions throughout the election season (like she was sure Hillary would stay in the race until Denver). But I've always respected her analysis and the fact that unlike her opponents on the right, or even some of her compatriots on the left, she has been consistent, fair and above talking points peddling.

Also, she's kind of a cutie – especially in that tie. And those dorky glasses. She reminds me of the lesbian Clark Kent. Have I mentioned she also makes a mean cocktail? Too bad she is making them for her longtime girlfriend, artist Susan Mikula (watch to the end to see their adorable smooch). Rachel promised that if she gets her own show she won't dance like Ellen. Might I suggest she mix a classic cocktail each show instead? Sophisticated and smart. Like I was saying, awesome. Or, more accurately, righteous. Seriously, MSNBC, give her her own show now.



p.s. Oh, and one more thing. She doesn't own a television. And she is on television. I hear more conservatives' heads popping off their necks with each passing second.

18 comments:

appple said...

i crush on rachel so hard. i cried when they changed her air america time slot from the morning to evening. my entire morning commute became unbearable. now i sit in the car from 6 to 9pm just to hear her because i don't have a radio in my house (and the streaming on the aa site is wonky sometimes).

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Ms. Dorothy. I was just thinking this morning that it was time for you to put a toe or two in the political waters. What a lovely way wade in. I caught her sitting in for Olbermann one evening and immediately paid attention for a multitude of reasons. Glad the ol' gaydar is still accurate.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post Dotty! This is one impressive woman - smart as a tack, unflappable in the face of the baig boys. I bet they quake in their shoes to go one on one with her (so to speak). And to find out she plays for our side is an added thrill (swoon).

I believe in her own way she may contribute as much as Ellen to acceptance of lesbianism by the masses, by going to up against the right wing and winning. Go Rachel!

Faith said...

Yeah. Rachel is pretty much the bomb. I'm a huge political junkie and I would rather watch her than any of the 8000 other pundits out there, any day, any time.

Anonymous said...

...Ok, that should have been "big boys"...

Anonymous said...

i feel about her the way most 12 year girls feel about the jonas brothers. it's that serious.

Anonymous said...

12 year old* jeez, i can't even typr correctly.

TheWeyrd1 said...

I tend to go for the femme types, but mmmmm...Rachel...mmmmm. Course brains and humor trump looks every time for me!

LiteraryVice432 said...

most of the women in my office are determined to marry her.
including me.

she is so awesome there is no word to actually convey how awesome she is.

Jenna L said...

Obsessed. So so so obsessed.

sparksnsmoke said...

Hah! I mentioned her twice in my blog before you mentioned her once in yours! Of course you are still the goddess and I bow low to your superior blogging skilz. Seriously though, RM is the total crush package. I don't usually go for the butch girls but she transcends... Smart, funny, cute as a bug's ear... big time yum!

Unknown said...

We've evolved to a pretty cool point when I can be reading blogs written by lesbians while watching Rachel on my TV--lesbian multi-tasking is now a reality...

riotgrrrl said...

I've had a serious femme crush on Rachel Maddow for ages - ever since her deliciously butchy Velvet Park cover. She may have femmed it up just a bit for TV, but she is a left-wing ray of light in the otherwise conservative morass of US political punditry.

Anonymous said...

Good one Ms. Snarker. Rachel is yummy! Before she went to MSNBC, she was often on Paula Zahn on CNN. When they cut to and from commercials, they'd do a long shot of the panelists. I always loved that Rachel wore jeans with her TV-ish shirts and jackets. Sweet. Oh! and she talks purty too!

Anonymous said...

think you did mention her once ms snarker.

Anonymous said...

yeah, politic season, let me out,
anyway if you want somethin let me know,if not nevermind. i'm talking Dorothy. not you.

have a nice day!!

B Northcut said...

'bout damn time!

Anonymous said...

yes!! rachel maddow...boi oi oing...