Friday, June 20, 2008

My Weekend Crush

All this marriage talk this week got me thinking about great couples, onscreen and off. And one of the greatest to bridge both was Bogart and Bacall. OK, fine, there was that kinda creepy 25-year age difference. But their chemistry was unstoppable. Bacall was the sassy yin to Bogart’s gruff yang. I think it worked because Lauren Bacall always seemed older, wiser and possibly just a little bit wickeder than her age would let on. A star at 20, Bacall was and continues to be wonderfully, unapologetically assertive. “You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.” If I was Bogey, I would have fallen in love on the spot, too. “The Look.” The voice. The way she lit a cigarette. She made them all instantly iconic. Through the years, she has remained off screen much like her onscreen persona: smart, sultry and quick with a snappy retort. Take one of her interviews with Larry King.
Bacall: “I’m a total Democrat. I’m anti-Republican. And it’s only fair that you know it.”
King: “Wait a minute. Are you a liberal?”
Bacall: “I’m a liberal. The L word!”

Ah, if only. Happy weekend, all.

6 comments:

Gaëllan said...

"Put your lips together and blow..."

She was just gorgeous and those eyes...


If you ever have the time take a look at an old french classic "Quai des brumes", Michele Morgan's eyes is something worth dying for too...

Anonymous said...

Here, Here... I'm right there with you on the beauty and appeal of Lauren Bacall!

It's nice that you are bringing the classic beauties to your page... perhaps a "Flashback Friday" or something is needed. I say lets add Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo, Audrey Hepburn, Rita Hayworth and on and on to the mix! I'm a huge fan of all the "classic" movies and classic beauties and the days of real star power!

Anonymous said...

thanx for reminding me of one of my teenage crushes BETTY BACALL! she is still very cool!
;) babs

TheWeyrd1 said...

That VOICE...mmmmm.

Anonymous said...

In all honesty, not a big Bogart and Bacall fan. I saw them in several movies, including Key Largo. Eh, twas okay.

But I am a BIG Bacall fan. As a kid, I remember so well her appearances on talk shows like Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas where you really got to know about the actor and they weren't there just to pimp the latest product.

Then there was her run on Broadway as Margo Channing in Applause.

Here is a link to a YouTube clip from the tv version of the musical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlEbGPQKC7U&feature=related

And then there was the movie, The Fan. A great, riveting movie with a subject matter that is still relevant to this day, unfortunately.

I am also a fan of the movie classics and would really appreciate a shout-out to the classic crushes of yester-year whenever you get the urge, Ms. Dorothy.

Speaking of classic beauties, this past week, we lost Cyd Charisse to a heart attack at the age of 86. She was my first classic beauty crush. I remember watching Brigadoon on the tv as a kid when I had a cold and was stuck inside the house when all the other kids were outside and playing. I could not take my eyes off of that woman! Cyd really didn't make so many movies but what roles she did take were ever-so memorable.

Anonymous said...

Dorothy...I miss you on the weekends. Nothing fullfills my day quite like you.