Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Happy Pride

Happy Pride! OK, fine, I realize I’m 10 days late. But I’m running on Q.S.T. here, so if you look at it that way I’m really right on time. Actually, I might even be early. Regardless, Pride Month is the one time of year where it’s not just OK to be gay, it’s fabulous. As a dedicated misanthrope, you’d think I would shun the crowds and hysteria (not to mention tourists and lookie-loos) who always gather for Pride. But I can’t help it. I love it. And I also love the relentless disco beat that takes over the city that weekend.

In honor of Pride celebrations around the country (and the world), how about some tasty beats? DJ, drop the needle.

Cyndi Lauper – “Into the Nightlife”


Annie – “I Know UR Girlfriend Hate Me”


Kelly/Britney – “Gimme More Shoes”


And, what gay old time would be complete without a little ABBA? Courtesy one of the most cathartic scenes ever put on celluloid:

Muriel & Rhonda – “Waterloo”


Happy Pride, ladies and (discerning) gentlemen. What can I say, it’s good to be gay.

13 comments:

The Gentleman said...

Nothing like a "Muriel's Wedding" clip to start the day... I heart that movie :) of course now I'll be humming ABBA's song for all day...
Happy Pride to you all!!

TheWeyrd1 said...

You're not late at all! In fact, you ARE early. Well if you're celebrating the exact date of the now famous Stonewall riot. But since, we celebrate all over the country on different weekends, you could just go somewhere else and be right on time!

Anonymous said...

It's always good to be gay. Sometimes, it's just more fabulous than others. ^^

Slym said...

I like the Annie video. My fav vids are ones where the artiste(s) is/are having fun. It reminds me of Robert Palmer's I Didn't Mean To Turn You On - very nice indeed. And the ABBA - LOL - love it.

Enjoy Pride

Gaëllan said...

Enjoy Pride you all! Why don't you come to Paris on June 28th?

My small french town is having its 15 years on Saturday, life is just wonderful for a month!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that scene from Muriel's Wedding is amazing, it never fails to crack my shit up and put me in a good mood. Cheers!

Renee said...

Happy Pride!

I'm not fond of people in general either, but there's something about Pride that makes it not so bad to be around people.

:-)

Anonymous said...

The Waterloo scene from ABBA will never get old, you're right, it is one of the most cathartic scenes put on film. It never fails to make me snicker with glee!

Anonymous said...

I hope someday I get to dance to waterloo dressed up as Abba with my best friend like that.

Amanda said...

I'm super excited for STL pride at the end of the month. I hope to go to Chicago's and NYC some day...

Happy Pride all

Amanda

Alexandra said...

Happy Pride Month to you too!

Becky said...

Ha! That Muriel's Wedding scene is genius.. there is not a second of it that I do not love. It made me smile, tap my feet and want to rent it again.
Brisbane Pride is on this Saturday. YAY FOR GAY!

Better go polish my "I'm gayer than you" badge

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm pretty out of the loop I thought pride month was july or august as we have a parade here in montreal at the end of july or beginning of august. Ha! Oh well, happy pride!