Friday, June 17, 2022

My Weekend (Wonder) Crush

I know every lesbian of a certain age has a crush on Lynda Carter. That Wonder Woman costume sure made an impression on my young-impressionable mind, and many others. Ahem. So, of course, I was thrilled by her appearance at the end of the latest “Wonder Woman” movie (even if the rest of the movie was basically a dud). But, as we grow older, the hero worship of our youth can become a disappointing reality. But not so of Lynda.

Our Wonder Woman remains a wonder and has, for years and years, been an outspoken supporter of queer and progressive causes. And this Pride Month she has been on a wonderful Twitter spree spreading love for LGBTQ+ people, causes and heroes. She’s also dashing the bigoted dreams of homophobes by confirming that Wonder Woman herself is a bi icon, extoling the virtues of drag brunch and generally being a Super Ally to believe in.

Like, I know Twitter crushes are so like 2012, but Lynda Carter is a forever crush. I mean, she’s 70 and I still want her to (lovingly and with respect) step on my neck — especially if she’s wearing the Wonder Boots. So. You know, there’s also that. We all deserve superheroes we can believe in. Thanks, woman, you’re a true wonder. Happy weekend, all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She still makes me swoon.

Carmen San Diego said...

She’s a gift to the community. In the same vein so is Lucy Lawless.
Have a great weekend DS