Monday, February 14, 2022

What a World, What a World

Well, shit, I caught COVID. After two damn years of endlessly fretting and fighting to not catch this fucking thing, I caughta breakthrough case of this fucking thing. Which, you know, bummer. Because every decision you make during a pandemic is the wrong one, I’m almost positive I caught it at the first indoor in-person gathering of more than four people that I’d attended since March 2020. Return to normalcy my ass.

The good news is I’m past day 10 and feel perfectly fine. I never had a fever or a cough. I was very, very lucky and mostly just had a dull headache, slightly stuffy nose and for the first night I had maybe six to seven very polite chills – like the kind you read about a Victorian-era romance novel heroine catching after running in the rain through a meadow to meet her dashing suitor.

The other good news is I didn’t pass it to either my wife or the one co-worker I had close, maskless contact with before I got my results. So that’s almost as much a relief as me being mostly asymptomatic.

Honestly, I’ve spend much of the past week napping and watching the Olympics. Luckily last week I had pre-written most of the posts. But I just wasn’t feeling terribly Weekend Crushy, so apologies for its weekly absence. I should be back to it this like normal week.

So, anyway, that’s life I guess. While it’s undeniably personally deflating to have caught COVID after all this time (and the continued worry of Long COVID), I’m grateful for science and the three shots that protected me against much, much worse outcomes. I hope you are all keeping as happy and healthy as you can during a seemingly endless pandemic where our leaders have largely decided to let things play out and hope for the best. Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day to all who celebrate, kittens.

10 comments:

jimbo26 said...

Let your wife help to look after you Dorothy, just take care . From Jim - t’other side of the Pond .

Helena said...

So sorry to hear about this and very glad that you are feeling well again and that your wife escaped it. Every day I'm so grateful for my shots and the booster , because I believed that's was what kept you safe. Hugs from South Africa.

Anonymous said...

ufff, get well soon!

Carmen San Diego said...

Oh no, feel better soon DS
Wishing you health and a prompt recovery

Shasta said...

Oh wow, I’m glad you’re feeling better and that you didn’t pass it along! ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹

Anonymous said...

Same here Dorothy, totally understand how you feel about almost making it out of this mess without ever having contracted it. We caught it last week too after 2 years of being crazy careful.

I hoped I'd be one of those last survivors in a zombie movie, but I guess we're one of the ones who gets nabbed right at the end of the movie. Maybe one of those after-credits deaths lol

Panty Buns said...

Bummer about the Covid, but kudos to you for all your work attempting to keep in good health.
All my best wishes for a speedy and full recovery, and for the remainder of your year 2022 to be much healthier, more successful, and very happy. xx <3

fridax said...

Damn that virus. Glad you got through it without too many issues. Hope it stays this way. All the best.

Anonymous said...

Late to this; through luck and extreme caution I’ve managed to avoid it to date but it’s probably inevitable it’ll catch up with me at some point.
Thank heavens for the amazing scientists and both of us living in countries fortunate enough to have afforded us full vaccination.

Glad to read in later posts that you’re on the up, and hey the timing could have been worse, bless those Olympians…

wtf_ppl said...

Get well soon DS!! I really sympathise and am so fearful of catching covid on public transportation. Or around maskless numpties.