Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Little Ditty About Bonnie & Diana

Well then, here is something to look forward to. Netflix is developing the new film “Nyad.” The biopic about the life of marathon swimmer and out lesbian Diana Nyad. In 2013, when she was 64, Diana became the first person ever to swim without a shark tank from Cuba to Florida. The 110-mile swim took 53 hours where Nyad endured poisonous jellyfish stings and so much more. I mentioned she’s a lesbian, right?

Playing Diana will be Annette Benning and playing her longtime best friend, training partner and expedition coach Bonnie Stoll will be Jodie Foster. Bonnie helped Diana train, prepare and execute the dangerous endeavor, her fifth try at the record-breaking swim.

Now, I don’t know if Bonnie is gay. All I have is the official bio which said she was a top-ranked professional racquetball player (where she apparently met Diana, who was a top-ranked squash player), she earned a degree in physical education and went on to teach PE. But I do know that Jodie is gay, and that Annette has successfully played gay (I still think “The Kids Are All Right” is a very good movie). So, just in case the bonafides were in question, they shouldn’t be. Granted, I don’t know how well either swims, but you know.

This project is exciting for a number of reasons. One, Jodie. Two, Annette. Three, at least one confirmed queer character. Four, the feature film debut of “Free Solo” documentary team Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin who are helming the project. Five, I mentioned there should be gay stuff, right?

It’s also refreshing to see a film centered on women above the age of 50, that isn’t about their decline in attractiveness, sex appeal, et al. Instead we’re guaranteed to see women in their 60s (Annette is 63) and 50s (Jodie is 59) doing amazing things in their swimsuits. I call that a win. And, uh, I mentioned the gay stuff, right?

4 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

“The Kids Are All Right” is a flawed but good movie
And you’re right about 50+ women leading movies
Bring it on

Anonymous said...

Benning & Foster? I am so in. Missed this news. Brilliant.

(And yeah I really like TKAR, I think it's beatifully shot, the opprobrium it gets for the het aspect is OTT, people are complicated...)

lisa said...

I loved Kids. And I especially loved the close ups on Annette, and no attempt to hide her wrinkles. I fell in love with her all over again.
And guess what. Women DO sometimes stray to men just for the experience. It happens. And this was the story of that happening.

Anonymous said...

I just saw the film at a theater. Bonnie and Diana had hooked up for a fleeting period, by the sound of it when they first met. And if Jodie Foster’s portrayal is anywhere near on point then Bonnie is definitely gay.
I really enjoyed the movie. The chemistry of their friendship definitely came through. I even loved how Nyad’s intensity and self centeredness wasn’t minimized. Perhaps both are ingredients to accomplishing such tremendous feats. But a special friendship is needed to see past that to whatever inner soft center. As I’m aging I more and more appreciate that life long female friendships are a precious thing. And if you’re gay and especially of a certain age, those friendships are especially more like family.