Thursday, November 26, 2020

Stay Home for the Holidays

It’s almost cruel to ask us what we’re thankful for in this universally infernal year. In case you forgot, we’re in the midst of the first global pandemic in over 100 years. And this thing is only getting worse instead of better after more than eight months of failed federal leadership. Half the country won’t take even the most simple precautions, from wearing a damn mask to social distancing from anyone not in your immediate household to, say, NOT HOSTING BIG THANKSGIVING DINNERS.

It’s painfully obvious that we’re not living in the same realities in America. We’ve got new members of Congress who believe in thoroughly debunked not to mention incredibly dangerous conspiracy theories. About half the country actually thinks Donald fucking Trump deserved another four years in office. And, there are folks who refuse to make the most cursory concessions to an ongoing health crisis that has killed over 250,000 of their fellow Americans.

Look, I get it, it’s hard. I haven’t seen my mother now in well over a year. I haven’t seen my sister and my nephews and niece in longer than that. I had considered flying home quickly for the holidays to see at very least my mom, but then reconsidered as the numbers continued to climb. I could never forgive myself if I made her sick, or if I made other people sick. So this year, I’m thankful for all the kind, empathetic, science-believing people who are doing their best to keep themselves, their loved ones and everyone else by not getting together this Thanksgiving with anyone from outside of their households.

It may not feel heroic staying home and not doing much of anything. But I’d rather go through some boredom and loneliness than act selfishly and possibly make it so someone else will never again sit down at the Thanksgiving table with the people they love. This year, we should all stay home for the holdays. And may we all have all new, wonderful things to be thankful for next Thanksgiving. Thank you for caring, kittens.

4 comments:

Carmen San Diego said...

Yeah, I don’t get why people act like it’s the end of the world to miss one holiday season. The vaccine is around the corner, just wait a little bit longer!
Have a happy and safe thanksgiving DS

Maria Rigel said...

What I really don't get is that these days, when everyone can talk and videoconference anyone they want for as long as they like, people are contemplating risking their lives to meet face to face. It isn't as if they haven't seen their family at all! All they're giving up is a few hugs. That's isn't such a big ask!

I suppose I'm showing my age here, but I remember when I was little, part of my family lived in a different country, international calls were really expensive back then, so we didn't call much, and we kept in touch with letters. Then cassette recorders arrived, and we were delighted that we could send cassettes to each other and hear each other's voices regularly. We didn't actually meet in person for many years at a time, international travel was also too expensive. We kept going with cassettes and photos. And we didn't think there was anything terrible about that. We were happy with the way things were. Today people have many more options, and spend their time moaning about the things they can't have.

Anonymous said...

@Carmen San Diego no way am I taking a vaccine rushed to market

Carmen San Diego said...

@anonymou then don’t take it,. Still doesn’t change the fact that it’s not the end of the world to stay home one holiday season.