Monday, August 26, 2019

The Holy Trinity

There still is no spoon. But soon, there will be more of “The Matrix.” The return to the green-tinted, black leather world of falling code and angry computers will reunite original franchise co-creator and director Lana Wachowski and stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity.

To quote The One in pretty much every movie, “Whoa.”

I will freely and proudly admit to harboring the most intense crush on Carrie-Anne Moss’s Trinity. I mean, how could you not? She had an alternative lifestyle haircut and wore skin-tight leather/PVC pants and tank tops and could kick you backwards in the head like a freaking scorpion. Also, Carrie-Anne Moss is very good in the face and body and all those other superficial places. I also freely admit to having dozens of truly ancient probably 12-24kb photos of Trinity saved somewhere on some backup hard drive from the late 90s, early 2000s era. So there’s that.

Granted, I have absolutely no idea how they plan to resurrect her since she died in the third film “The Matrix Revolutions.” (Also, that movie is 16 years old so I don’t want to hear any whining about “spoilers” here.)

But I can say I am truly excited to see what happens next and how Lana and Keanu and Carrie-Anne return us to The Matrix in already endlessly online times. The films (the first, definitely, the rest to diminishing degrees) still feel so contemporary in their technological dystopia. And, let’s just admit it, they were so fucking cool. The story was cool. The actors looked cool. The technology was cool. I mean, I still kind of want one of those auto-slide open phones.

With trans filmmaker Lana at the helm I feel assured we will get a bold and queer-inclusive return to a universe we all couldn’t get enough of two decades ago. While The Wachowskis post-Matrix work has been a tad uneven, you have to admire the sisters’ singular vision and willingness to take enormous swings into the unknown. Plus, they gave us “Bound” which remains an iconic staple of lesbian cinema. And their truly terrible “Jupiter Ascending” is perhaps my favorite truly terrible movie of all time. I’ve unashamedly watched it like half a dozen times.

So bring on the skin-tight PVC and let’s all take another Red Pill (but not in the horrible Men’s Rights/Al-Right way) together. Time to reboot all those latent Trinity fantasies.

2 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I am not gonna pretend I didn’t love the first one (2&3 not so much, although that freeway scene was great) but I am not hopeful for this. Got the feeling it’s gonna be like Indiana Jones and the Crystal skull or Toy Story 4

Panty Buns said...

Hooray! I always had trouble accepting Trinity dying. I'll be checking @AnnapurnaLiving 's (Carrie-Anne Moss's) Tweets hoping for hints of details about Trinity's nature after her return.

https://full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/