Friday, August 23, 2019

My Weekend Crush

Holy shit, kittens, maybe it’s just me or maybe it’s the Lizzo, but this trailer looks…good. Like really freaking good. Perhaps it’s just my Pavlovian response to seeing these characters – who I have loved against my better judgment so long – again. But dammit if I don’t feel exited. Like really freaking excited.

I know, I know – don’t get your hopes up. I’ve tried many times unsuccessfully to do full “The L Word” rewatches in the past, and I find myself fast-forwarding through basically all of the insanity/worst Jenny bullshit and just watching the most relatable lesbian content. (Like the phone tree scene or the gay pot brownies scene or the “Close to Fine” sing-along scene or anything and everything to do with Dana Fairbanks.)

But goodness if Jennifer Beals, Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig don’t look ah-mah-zing in this trailer. Like really freaking amazing. Like do these women even age? Like *low whistle forever*

I also want full credit for manifesting Bette Porter’s political aspirations. I mean, I’ve been talking up Straight Bette Porter for so long now, it feels like Lesbian Bette Porter was feeling a little left out. Also Bette running for office makes Election Day an official lesbian holiday. Look it up, it’s in the Constitution.

Yes, of course, it’s not perfect. Tibetters are pouring a little out of their sippy cups no doubt because Tina/Laurel Holloman is nowhere in sight. (For what it’s worth Laurel has said she is retired from acting to focus on her painting instead – so I guess we’ll all wait to see how they explain Tina’s absence. As long as it doesn’t involve cancer or a tractor we should be fine.)

Also, while I certainly welcome the new diversity in the cast, it appears butch and more masculine ladies are still not allowed in West Hollywood. Pity.

Still, I wasn’t expecting how good it would feel to see these characters back at their gay lady shenanigans – and a new generation ready to flip off the patriarchy.

So, anyone else feeling the same tingle? And I guess now until Dec. 8 I’ll be setting up my politician consultant business for fictional lesbians.

11 comments:

Helena said...

Absolutely Dorothy you get full credit for Bette getting into politics :) Cannot wait for this to start. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Bette running for president is our lesbian dreams coming true

AnnieStinkle said...

Bette is intelligent, passionate, and ambitious, sure, but don’t forget she also tends to be messy, self-destructive, and impulsive. If she were elected into office, it would only be a matter of time before she got herself into a scandal. Probably not as good a choice for pres as her straight counterpart.

You definitely get credit for giving them the idea, Snarker.

Carmen SanDiego said...

You absolutely manifested Bette in politics. Maybe manifest yourself winning the lottery? Hey, Why not?
Now, Alice became some sort of TLW version of Ellen? Is that why Shane is flying in a private jet? I can’t help being excited for this

rizzoli50isles said...

I agree with your review and if you were ever to do the recaps would be fantastic I was until recently a part of the l chat tapatalk site and there was a lot of negativity about no tibette I agree I would hate it if tina gets killed off I think she would give trump a run for his money I liked the part where shane was coming out of plane looking business like so its until December for you americans us brits will have to wait longer unless they have sky which I don't from the trailer it looks ok to me but cant say much as its a trailer seeing first episode will give me a better indication on whether its worth watching or not















Anonymous said...

I've tried to rewatch it too, but it's just not the same! I'm trying not to get too excited for the new show, but I can't help myself either!! Fingers crossed!!

And who is Bette with?!!

t said...

HA! Always skip the Jenny parts.

Anonymous said...

I will be honest I would have rather seen new content than this soap opera type genre. The show held up back in the day but there are so many women with stories to tell. Showtime falling back on Chaiken feels like they sold out for comfortability rather than trying something cutting edge.

rizzoli50isles said...

it remains to be seen whether its good or not and who knows how marja ryan will spin the new show and if it was right for marja to take over from Ilene chaiken

Anonymous said...

Tingle! Yes, feeling it.

Dana said...

You called it on Bette's political career--but I'll also observe that there's also been another fictional, biracial, lesbian mom on television who entered politics, Lena Adams Foster of The Fosters. Clearly you could grow your consulting business.