Friday, August 30, 2019

My Weekend Crush

I know I already wrote a little about MTV’s VMAs this week, and I am admittedly way too old to be writing so much about MTV’s VMAs this much. But while I tend to be a pop/alternative/Americana type of lady when it comes to music, do love me a little hip hop, and to be more specific, I love me little ladies of hip hop. Actually, I love me a lot of ladies of hip hop. And I really love Missy Elliott. Someone tweeted (and apologies for not being able to find the exact tweet and give full credit) that despite most of Missy’s hits being more than two decades old, they still sound like they’re coming from 20 years in the future. And that’s the damn truth.

More than a little Missy made the dance playlist for our wedding last fall. It’s her joy and her verve that I can’t get enough of. And, you know, them sick beats. But watching her perform a medley of some of her best bops was very, very fun. And, the lady can still put on a hell of a show. I mean, someone got abducted by aliens in the middle of her set, yo.

Also, you may recognize the badass female dancer in the yellow track suit as none other than *that* little girl from Missy’s 2003 “Work It” video. So some 17 years later Alyson Stoner is back to rip it up on stage.


It should also be noted that Alyson came out last year in Teen Vogue as having been in a same-sex relationship, fallen in love with a woman and being attracted to “attracted to men, women, and people who identify in other ways.” Work it, ladies. Happy weekend, all.

3 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

Have a great weekend DS

Anonymous said...

omgiloveyoumissy:0 I’ve been super happy with the stuff she’s been putting out the last few years (even if I want more more more) and I already bought the new album (only 5 songs but better than nothing!) and love it.

Anonymous said...

I supa dupa love her work......see what I did there:)