Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Doctor Rainbows

Well, goodness, that was fun. I’ve watched the first season of the Thirteenth Doctor with wonder and delight. What a gloriously seamless transition from all those Mr. Doctors to the very first Ms. Doctor. But more than just swapping the Doctor’s gender, what the new season has done is open up the series to a whole new universe of stories it couldn’t – or just wouldn’t – tell before. The lovely Rosa Parks episode. The powerful Partition of India episode.

Plus, don’t think I haven’t missed the couple of casual lesbian characters to pop into the series all matter-of-fact so far. And, oh yeah, I’ve noticed the double rainbows in the Doctor’s outfit. (On her shirt on and on her zipper – and apparently on her upcoming super rainbow scarf.) All the way, folks. All the way.

What makes this season so great is not only that it’s telling good (and important) stories. It’s that it is telling a whole new group of people – who so rarely get themselves as the heroes of their own stories – that they too can save the world.

4 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I’ve been a bad lesbian and I haven’t seen any of the episodes yet. I guess a marathon during the holidays is in my future

Anonymous said...

For me Jodie is the best Doctor ever. She was the perfect choice.

Anonymous said...

The thirteenth doctor has consumed my life. Jodie has made a shoe I already liked *transcendent* and I'm glad you're enjoying it too.

Anonymous said...

Show