Monday, November 12, 2018

What a Dame

Emma Thompson, continual human delight, is now Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire Emma Thompson. Or, you know, dame for short. The honor was bestowed upon her last week by Prince William. And at the ceremony she continued to show that despite her new fancy title, she is still just a never-ending human delight.

First, she wore this amazing suit. Amazing cut and color. But then, you know how much I love me a lady in a suit. Second, she wore sneakers – SNEAKERS – under her suit because comfort is king. The woman who threw away her Louboutins at the Golden Globes a few years ago is all about not having her damn feet bleed.



Third, Thompson also playfully flirted with Prince William, who she has known since he was little saying, “ ‘I can't kiss you, can I?’ And he said, ‘No, don’t! ”

Fourth, she wore and equal pay pin to the ceremony which is a truly dame-worthy message.



And fifth, but not least, in accepting this honor she also recognizes its the imperialistic history. She said of the title, “They send you a letter saying, ‘Will you accept it?’ You can choose not to. You can choose to say, ‘Well, of course we don’t have an empire anymore, thank God, because it was ghastly, colonial, racist, dreadful undertaking on every level,’ and actually have some moral principle about it. Or you can be like me and think, ‘Hmm, it’s gonna be a really nice badge.’” Because besides just being a delight she is also endlessly bright and empathetic and hilarious.

Man, the world needs more Emmas. Make that Dame Emmas.

1 comment:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I love it cause I got married in sneakers. (Adidas superstars in case anyone is interested)
An equal pay pin? My heart! Where do I get one of those?