Monday, November 26, 2018

Prom Queens

In case you were wondering whether things really get better, consider the fact that during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade a gay Broadway musical danced and sang its way into millions of living rooms across the country and sealed it all with a kiss. Yes, that’s right, in between bites of turkey and stuffing American audiences got to watch two women kiss because it’s 2018 and that shit is perfectly, totally and completely normal. It also made history as the first LGBTQ kiss aired during the famed parade.


Now, I hadn’t head about “The Prom” before the parade. It just opened earlier this month on Broadway and tells the story of a lesbian high school student who is forbidden from taking her girlfriend to the prom. If you’ve seen it already, New York kittens or New York tourist kittens, please tell me what you thought.

But from what I saw in this small snippet, I’d say it’s the kind of song, dance and smooch I can definitely get behind.

p.s. Yes, I know a few bigots on Twitter took issue with the kiss. But, again, LGBTQ exist and sometimes even kiss each other. We’re here, we’re queer, get the fuck over it, assholes.

4 comments:

Waffles said...

I saw it last night. It was amazing - I sobbed through most of it and left wrecked. Everyone should go see it.

Carmen SanDiego said...

I had never heard of it before this but now I really want to go see it

AK said...

Only improvement would be IF REAL LESBIANS were cast as the actors playing the roles.......

Jen Tidwell said...

I've been following this show since it's out-of-town tryout in Atlanta! It is FANTASTIC and I am SO THRILLED that it made it onto Broadway and is getting raves left and right. It so deserves it.

I was watching the parade live on Turkey Day and LITERALLY lept out of my seat and scream/cheered when they kissed!

Everyone needs to see this show! Absolutely everyone!

Cheers!