Friday, November 20, 2009

My Weekend Crush

Sarah Paulson

So I’ve been thinking a lot about Sarah Paulson lately. She’s made a bit of news, what with her amicable split from Cherry Jones and emphatic assertion that her ex and Jodie are not America’s newest celesbian couple. But mostly what I’ve been thinking about is how talented she is, far too talented to not be on my television (or big screen, I can share) on a regular basis. Of course, she is happy and marvelous on the stage out yonder in New York City. Which is fine. But that leaves all of us middle and left coast cold and alone.

I’ll let you in on a little secret that may be surprising for some of you. Back in 2006 when NBC had this wacky idea of premiering two shows set behind the scenes at late-night sketch comedies, I wasn’t initially on Team 30 Rock. Sure I enjoyed “30 Rock,” but my attention first went to “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.” I’ll give you a second to recover from the shock. At first, my affections were rewarded. The writing was whip-smart, the cast was tremendous and there was this lovely creature called Sarah Paulson warming our hearts each week. Of course, half way through that first season things went sadly awry and I never even ended up watching the end of that series. But what that short-lived run did give me was a lifetime adoration of Ms. Paulson.

There’s that adorable little overbite, that delightful sparkle in her eyes. She is accessible, yet clearly intelligent. And then there is her Twitter stream where she is prone to use the word FUCK in all caps and holds open conversations with an ungodly number of people – some famous and more just ordinary folk. It’s pretty amazing and well worth a follow @sarahpaulson (and while you’re at it and if you don’t already, give me a follow @dorothysnarker – though I can’t guarantee anything similar to Sarah except a penchant for the word fuck.)

In short, someone needs to hire Sarah. In fact, I feel terribly remiss in not mentioning her for one of the two lesbian comedies in development right now. Think of it: Starring Sarah Paulson and Leisha Hailey. Make it happen, universe. Happy weekend, all.

p.s. You haven’t really lived until you’ve seen Sarah impersonate Holly Hunter…and a dolphin. See, adorable.

13 comments:

lisa said...

I have been following Ms Paulson for awhile on twitter and she does post some really interesting stuff.... oh and you do too!

Anonymous said...

Fell for her as Ms. Isringhausen in Deadwood. Best show ever! And she brought SO much to this character's short story line.

Norma Desmond said...

Love her, and, I'll be honest, loved "Cupid." Regardless, someone better bring her back to something I can sit and watch and enjoy soon because she's just too adorable to be confined to the stage (as much as I love theatre and all... which is a LOT).

Solo said...

Long time fan of (Dorothy AND) Ms. Paulson.

I agree that to know her talent is to love her. I'd like to see her on the Telly, as well!

elliB said...

I've loved Sarah Paulson since Jack & Jill and I wish it was available on dvd. I told her so on Twitter and she tweeted me back. I agree that the screens, both big and small, have underutilized her.

snookie said...

OMG, is she fabulous or what? Fabulous that's what! And totally crush-worthy with her beauty and funny-lady style! LOVE HER!!

Amanda said...

I'm in love

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I loved Sarah in Studio 60...the writing was smart, her character was really interesting.

Dylana Suarez said...

Lovely blog!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Niki said...

April 2010, Sarah stars along with Linda Lavin on Broadway in Collected Stories. Not a TV show, which would be wonderful to have her face on my TV every week, but LIVE theatre is better than anything. Sad for those who live west of NYC, though. http://www.playbill.com/news/article/134606-Paulson_Paired_With_Lavin_for_Broadway_s_Collected_Stories

Also, hear she just finished filming an episode of SVU. HELLO?! Mariska AND Sarah? I swoon over the hotness.

Unknown said...

Count me in, Ms. Snarker. A penchant for the word fuck is good enough for me.

Anonymous said...

So true about Sarah! She is a wondeful actress and such a sweetheart. I caught her last play in NYC and was amazed. She's really down to earth too, we've become quite the tweet friends.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).