Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Follow Your Kacey

If you are like me, when the country music portion of the Grammy Awards come on you use it as a perfect time to go get another beer. But at Sunday’s Grammys I stayed seated and delighted. Well, no, not with Hunter Hayes. What’s with the random quotes, Country Bieber? You see, I’m no country music fan – but if that’s what you’re into, absolutely no judgment. I enjoy some classics – Patsy, Loretta, Johnny, Willie. But the contemporary stuff, eh. Still the adorable Kacey Musgraves had me glued to my couch.

First, there was her outfit – light-up boots and lamp-shade skirt and all. Then there was her band – with their cute matchy-matchy Western wear. And now I have this odd desire to decorate my living room with neon cacti. But the main attraction was Kacey herself. And, more importantly, her music. I am a little bit in love with “Follow Your Arrow.” See for youself.



Yes, America, a popular country music song discusses same-sex smoochies, pre-marital sex, toking up, body snarking, slut shaming and aethism – in a good way. This is one of the most merrily progressive songs I’ve heard in the past year. And it does it all without being preachy. It’s just about, you know, following your heart. Do what makes you happy, don’t worry about what makes other people happy. Be you. How utterly refreshing.

Right, so I’m off to iTunes to download “Follow Your Arrow.” If you need me I’ll be two-stepping under my desk.

p.s. Here is the official video. I kind of want hot-pants with gun holsters to become a thing.

7 comments:

KAH said...

I would highly recommend checking out the rest of the songs on that album. She has some fantastic ones on it. She's definitely one of those artists that sings some real truths all the while sounding sweet and definitely not preachy at all.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't stand that skirt! But the song was all right.

Panty Buns said...

Surprisingly I hadn't heard of Kacey Musgraves before the Grammys but I'm glad she won! I like her songs and love the fashions she wore on stage. That dress was great! The people hating on her dress are definitely not Fbloggers or fashionistas and I suspect there are other motivations for their snark. If there's another Lilith Fair I hope Kacey Musgraves is a part of it. Love the harmony, the lyrics and the mood too - fun :)

http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I see videos of Sarah Silverman with Jesus-great by the way and the Miami Heat and not Kacey. Curious...

Anonymous said...

And now after reloading twice the Kacey video is there. Weird.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Highlight of the Grammys. Better than the Macklemore thing

Anonymous said...

My friend and I saw her play in a really great, intimate venue last year and she was fantastic! I'd never heard of her but it was a toe-tappingly fun and uplifting gig. I like her general vibe and I'm glad to see her success, not to mention the fact that, at the end of the day
she's a country music artist so the importance of gently subversive songs like 'Follow your Arrow' can't be underestimated.