Monday, March 25, 2013

"Go On" watch

You aren’t watching “Go On.” Come clean because the numbers don’t lie. Last Tuesday some 8 million more people tuned in to see D-list celebrities belly flop into a pool than watch the freshman NBC sitcom. And those people, you people, are really fucking missing out.

Not only is “Go On” funny and at times alternately deeply touching and deeply weird, it has got by far the best new lesbian character on television in Anne (played by the beyond fabulous Julie White). Yes, I know, I’ve gone over this topic before. But it is utterly refreshingly how thoroughly integrated Anne’s sexuality is in the show and how utterly devoid it is of coming out angst. Anne is a widow still getting over her wife’s death and it is treated exactly the same as everyone else’s loss, no need for very special anything. It’s not a problem, it just is.

From dealing with being a single mom to dealing with going on her first date, Anne has been wonderfully included. And her friendship with Matthew Perry’s Ryan is unexpected yet organic. Plus, well, you know my weakness for funny misanthropic gals.

But if none of that has persuaded you (what are you, made of stone?) let me reach back into your nostalgia banks and tell you that “Go On” is going to give us the Monica and Chandler reunion of your 90s dreams, and this time with a gay twist. Tuesday’s episode synopsis reads as such:

Ryan’s “wing man” turns into competitor for the affection of a beautiful widow - Courteney Cox guest stars — Anne (Julie White) offers to set up Ryan (Matthey Perry) with a new acquaintance, Talia (Courteney Cox), a recent widow struggling to find her emotional direction. When the three go out together, Talia ends up heavily flirting with them both.

And it isn’t even sweeps week!

Look, I don’t beg much, but I would really like this show to get a second season because Anne is the lesbian character we deserve to laugh and grow with in an age where every day more and more people realize we’re no different than anyone else. OK, fine, sometimes we’re a lot more hilarious.

UPDATE: See! Funny! Watch! I am not above threats!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't expecting much out of Go On, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It's really worth checking out if you haven't already.

Heather Anne Hogan said...

So excited! I am forever grateful that you made me watch this one, Snarks!

Unknown said...

Every time someone tells me they are not watching Go On I am shocked. I think it's the best new comedy this year. And I always love the Friends reunions, even if they aren't that well done.

Chris said...

I'm surprised, too, that Go On doesn't have a huge audience. It has to have the best integration of a fully diverse cast one television and has never, to my experience, gotten on its high horse about that. Plus its ridiculously funny and I love Matthew Perry since he guest starred on West Wing.

That said, I don't consistently watch it, either. I am more likely to miss a month of episodes then catch up when I'm out of Shonda Rimes shows to watch on a weekend.

I'm a strictly Hulu television watcher so I don't know what its paired with in primetime but I feel like it doesn't really "fit" with any other groups of shows I watch and so I tend to put it off. I wonder what others excuse is.

Rachelle said...

I loooooove this show ;)

Anonymous said...

You made me watch 12 episodes in a row today. Not that it's any help with the ratings ...

Panty Buns said...

I'm one of the people who had not heard of the show (I don't have cable or satellite TV) but now that I've read about it here, if I can find a way to watch "Go On" Tuesday at 10/9c on NBC, I will!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. The show is excellent. Finally a premise that deals with death in an honest way. Top that off with a mostly believable characters (not the least of which is the charming Ms. White) it keeps me watching. I hope NBC brings it back for second season.

KP said...

I LOVE Go On! I don't have cable and only watch on Hulu... wish we had a ratings system that took that into account. =/

egghead said...

I watched it. I have always liked it. It's a growing show and just gets better and better I suppose.

I like Grimm too. I can't miss Grimm. :D

egghead said...

P.S.

I stopped washing Splash last time it was on -- last season. They renewed it?

Anonymous said...

Muahahaa..cool video! Laughed very hard, unfo we don't have the show where I live so youtube needs to be my friend. :)

Anonymous said...

fantastic!! thanks so much for this clip :) love it!!

Awnutts said...

I agree with you 100%. I absolutely love Anne and Ryan's friendship. You are right, that Anne is the lesbian we need/deserve on network tv. I would also argue that Anne and Ryan's friendship is the kind of friendship we need and deserve to see.

I think that there are so few genuine friendships between two actors with great chemistry that don't play a will-they-or-won't-they dynamic, ESPECIALLY between men and women. (Even Chicago Fire can't figure out how to hit that chord perfectly.)

Sure, some tv romances make me swoon--Leslie and Ben will make me smile like a fool. Still, I find that the tv relationships that really stick with me are the friendships. It's so rare to see them done well.

So, well done, Go On!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for alerting me to this. It is only coming to South African TV next week and now I'll be sure to watch. Seeing as I can always trust your taste :)

aperture8 said...

Saw this episode due to your post. Enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads-up! :)

TheWeyrd1 said...

I'm a sucker for anything with a queer female in it. If I like it, I'll keep watching. I've been watching it every week!!! But I did miss a few due to recording errors, so I watched those online right at the source...NBC.com I suppose I could watch on my TV AND online...if that would help...heh